Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Alrighty then...

I was just suggesting a method that would help eliminate the original topic "backpedaling".

Crossing over from a wreck league ref to an official, my mentor suggested that I attempt to get there as often as possible to help break that bad habit of backpedaling. And it really works for me, as there is no need to run backwards if you're already there. Not a requirement by any means, but it's hardly frowned upon either. Small things like hustle & appearance can go a long way!
Of course, there are some situations where it just wont happen ie: quick steal going the other way.

Didn't think that needed to spelled out, but I am posting on officiating.com now aren't I.
It is not about needing to be spelled out, it is the fact that I do not agree with it (and there is nothing wrong with that). And I do not agree with it because I think you to achieve it, you have to sacrifice other things. Basketball is a fluid game that moves constantly and might go from one end of the court to the other very quickly. I do not think most of us are going to beat a 15-18 year old even with the best intentions unless we do not close down and just started heading to the end line before the ball is rebounded. On a steal on the perimeter I do not see how we have a chance.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:55pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is not about needing to be spelled out,

Yes it is!

it is the fact that I do not agree with it (and there is nothing wrong with that).

Right, you're correct once again...

And I do not agree with it because I think you to achieve it,

Huh??? Did we forget something here.

you have to sacrifice other things. Basketball is a fluid game that moves constantly and might go from one end of the court to the other very quickly. I do not think most of us are going to beat a 15-18 year old even with the best intentions unless we do not close down and just started heading to the end line before the ball is rebounded. On a steal on the perimeter I do not see how we have a chance.

Peace
The bold is what I mean by s p e l l i n g it out.
If anyone has "read" what I actually typed they would've seen:

1. Not saying I get there everytime
2. Of course, there are some situations where it just wont happen ie: quick steal going the other way.
3. FTR, the "endline before division line" technique includes closing down prior & not bailing out.

I already addressed those things prior, but you still bring up those topics several posts later.

No biggie though, me arguing a point around here is equal to Bearfanmike20 & yourself entering a spelling bee. j/k
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The bold is what I mean by s p e l l i n g it out.
If anyone has "read" what I actually typed they would've seen:

1. Not saying I get there everytime
2. Of course, there are some situations where it just wont happen ie: quick steal going the other way.
3. FTR, the "endline before division line" technique includes closing down prior & not bailing out.

I already addressed those things prior, but you still bring up those topics several posts later.

No biggie though, me arguing a point around here is equal to Bearfanmike20 & yourself entering a spelling bee. j/k
I honestly do not see why you are being so defensive. I just disagreed with your point of view. That is it. I guess this is something you will never understand about this forum is that people have the right to disagree with anything you say at any time. If it was not that big of a deal you would have took it in the spirit in which my comments were made. I just said it was hard to do, not that it could not ever be achieved.

And I love how people do not know the difference between spelling and typing. Typing is something we are doing here. I am a relatively fast at typing, but I am not always as accurate. Then again I am old enough to have gone to school and it was required to take a typing course in order to graduate. I am sure you will be offended by that statement too.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:14pm
Ch1town

Quote:
I am sure you will be offended by that statement too.

Peace
Nope, because in order for me to "be offended by that statement too" implies that I was offended in the first place.

Just having a good time & great season so far... you're obviously the man, I'm just trying to get better!
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't think Ch1 is saying it's an expected thing. It reads to me more like a personal goal, one that increases hustle. It's the hustle that gets noticed by evaluators, not the timing of his arrival to the endline.

I don’t think it's a bad goal to have, as long as one keeps it in perspective, which it seems he is.
While it certainly is hustling to be to the endline before the ball crosses the division line, but is it taking oneself out of a useful position just for the sake of hustle? What if there's a quick steal going back the other way? What if the D puts on a press? I prefer to pause to see if I'm going to be needed (if more than 2 defenders hang back to pressure the ball), then go down with the first wave of defenders. Perhaps that's "lazy" but I think it's smart. And I still get high marks for hustle.

It works for me.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
While it certainly is hustling to be to the endline before the ball crosses the division line, but is it taking oneself out of a useful position just for the sake of hustle? What if there's a quick steal going back the other way? What if the D puts on a press? I prefer to pause to see if I'm going to be needed (if more than 2 defenders hang back to pressure the ball), then go down with the first wave of defenders. Perhaps that's "lazy" but I think it's smart. And I still get high marks for hustle.

It works for me.
Which is the perspective I was talking about.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Nope, because in order for me to "be offended by that statement too" implies that I was offended in the first place.

Just having a good time & great season so far... you're obviously the man, I'm just trying to get better!
If you are just trying to get better, than you would take advice and go on about your business. I probably go to more camps than you do every year and take more instruction now than I did when I first started. I am just telling you something that I have learned over a decade of working games. Thank you for reminding me to not make the same mistake the next time and try to help you out. You already know everything.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:44pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

It works for me.
Ohh my, people why do we dig so deep? Could those be signs of an OOO?
Around here people ask questions & sometimes they get an answer, I just decided to chime in with an answer and solution. Here is what really happened.

OP: is it ok to run backwards?

Majority of the board: No & here's why...

Me: No & here is something you can do to help eliminate the bad habit

Let the spelling out begin, I didn't mean everytime down the court (which I've said several times now) Good thing "reading comprehension" has nothing to do with calling ball!
1. Of course if the press is on stay & help your partner
2. If there is a quick steal you wont make it
3. Please close down, R & R prior to hustling to new L

Other than that, get yourself to the endline & stop running backwards, chasing plays & calling out of your PCA because you weren't where you should've been. Example: New L calling a touch foul above the FT line extended because he/she wasn't on the endline watching the footers push & shove each other.

Hope this helps to understand my intent & where I was coming from.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:57pm
Ch1town

Quote:
If you are just trying to get better, than you would take advice and go on about your business.

Really? Do what you say, shut up & carry on huh? I hardly think so...
Let's see, listen to you or listen to Verne That's an easy choice.

I probably go to more camps than you do every year and take more instruction now than I did when I first started.

Probably have, seeing how I only attended my first 3 camps this past summer (local & college).

I am just telling you something that I have learned over a decade of working games. Thank you for reminding me to not make the same mistake the next time and try to help you out.

NOTE: When attempting to "help someone out" the way you "tell" them is a huge factor of them being receptive or not.

You already know everything.

Peace
Hardly even true JRut, I set different goals & learn something new each & every night.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hardly even true JRut, I set different goals & learn something new each & every night.
So do I and what is your point? When I perfect this game, I need to quit immediately.

BTW, I go to a camp that is run by Tommy O'Neill and I have never heard him say a word about this. I have also the last two years gone to Dale Kelley's camp which most of the Men's NCAA Tournament Officials come from his staff. And many staff members work the Kelley's Camps as clinicians. I can literally turn on the TV on a nightly basis and see one of his staff clinicians working D-1 Games on national TV. I have never heard one of those officials practice or teach such a technique. You do not have to listen to me at all. Hey, go ahead and only listen to Verne.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 03:07pm.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 03:07pm
Ch1town

It's tough to communicate with you.
Let me break it down.

Per your post: You already know everything.

My retort: Hardly even true JRut, I set different goals & learn something new each & every night.

Quote:
So do I and what is your point? When I perfect this game, I need to quit immediately.

Peace
I disagree with you, I don't know everything. That's my point. Comprende?

How many Final Fours in the past how many years?
Closed Thread