The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backpedal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40370-backpedal.html)

phansen Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:47am

Backpedal

NFHS

After a made basket where I will become the new lead, I like to backpedal from about the free throw line to the baseline. I get a full view of the court and the players.

Observers have graded me down for this, without very good reasoning in my opinion. They say you can't see where you are going which is true. However, it is also hard to see running forward with your head turned to the side. Does anyone else do this? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcome.

NCAAREF Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:54am

One Day...

Don't receommend doing it and never teach our rookies to do that. Guranteed one day you will tumble head over heels doing that.

TwoDot Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59am

NOT a good idea! I too used to do that until I tripped on one of the lines on the floor and ended up fracturing my wrist. I was out about 3 weeks. Much better to run forward and turn and watch players, hustling down to the baseline, then face play. Much faster that way to.

BEAREF Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:04pm

I did this my first year of officiating during a middle school game in a very small gym...less than two feet between the boundary line and the wall...my head made a lot of noise when it hit the wall...a big goose egg that took two days to get rid of. It was the last time that I used the backpedal.

rainmaker Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:06pm

Get wider so looking back isn't so uncomfortable. Also, get a little further in front and then if necessary turn body completely around at about the second free throw spot and WALK backward if necessary. That's only if play hesitates near the arc, or top of key, and you don't want to be TOO far ahead. DOesn't happen often.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13pm

You always want to 1) look athletic and 2) "move with a purpose" - backpeddling (unless you're a football defensive back) accomplishes neither. To the trained eye it just looks absolutely silly/horrible.

Then there's the whole "You'll do it until your first tumble" argument, which is what personally worked for me back in intramurals in college.

mick Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phansen
NFHS

After a made basket where I will become the new lead, I like to backpedal from about the free throw line to the baseline. I get a full view of the court and the players.

Observers have graded me down for this, without very good reasoning in my opinion. They say you can't see where you are going which is true. However, it is also hard to see running forward with your head turned to the side. Does anyone else do this? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcome.

Besides the fact that no observer likes backpedaling, backpedaling puts an unnatural strain on your achilles tendons and heels adding the potential for fatigue or injury later in the game, season or career.
Since it is an unacceptable practice, backpedaling is also an indication of a lack of training (or listening), and again, because it is unacceptable [for whatever reason] it makes an official look "funny", sorta like wearing white socks.
No, you cannot see in front of you while your are looking over your inside shoulder, but you can snap your head a 1/4-turn for a quick peripheral glance more quickly and with more balance than you can when you're running backwards.
Many officials will find it necessary, on rare occasions, to backpedal, but it's best to break the habit, save the excuses.

truerookie Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:24pm

Listen to what the observer(s) and more experienced official(s) are saying.

Don't become a HMO!!

Adam Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie

Don't become a HMO!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bearfanmike20 Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie

Don't become a HMO!!

HMO.... ???

truerookie Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

High
Maintenance
Official

HMO is an official who is viewed as someone who will not; or refuse to accept reasonable advice.

An official who is told about the samething over; over again to correct.

A waste of time try to educate

Bad Zebra Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:31pm

Rookie official in our association fractured BOTH WRISTS backpedaling in his first season (2 years ago). Just lost his footing and fell backwards and tried to catch himself. Both wrists in casts for 6 weeks. Needless to say, we stress against it.

Stop and think about the things you can't do with two casts on your arms.:(

CJRef Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:32pm

Two years ago I was watching a JV game in which one of the officials was backpedaling every time down the court. At one point there was a fast break and in his hurried state he backpedaled over the coaches foot. Without any chance to brace himself, he fell right on the back of his head splitting it open.

Regardless of how good of an official you are, backpedaling, like Mick points out, looks funny, and is usually an automatic "no" for most observers ( like bird-dogging all the time, or wearing a belt or a collared shirt). One of the fastest ways to move up the ranks is to polish your appearance, meaning not only what you wear but how you move and carry yourself.

To see what everyone else is talking about, get some game footage and watch yourself backpedal. I would be willing to bet that you won't do it anymore.

fullor30 Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phansen
NFHS

When I see anyone back pedal, it gives them a label of inexperience in my eyes. Someone mentioned the same as wearing white socks and I agree. Swing wide and turn your head and remember you have one or two other guys out there with you.

rainmaker Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Needless to say, we stress against it.

Breathe, BZ, slowly, BZ.. Get to your quiet place...