The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the point about professionalism is a bit over stated. I will say, though, that when an official is seen backpedaling, it's going to say something about that official.

1. He/she hasn't been instructed not to do it.
2. He/she has been told, but has chosen not to heed the advice.
3. He/she is aware of the danger and is trying to break an old habit.

The first one is at least easily correctable. The third one is easily detected by speaking to the ref about it. The 2nd will give a ref the reputation of being a "yabut" guy. You know the type, the ones who respond to any and all critique with "Yeah, but...."
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
But, as this forum shows, sometimes its more important to impress other refs than our employers, the schools. Rock on!
Good grief!! This has nothing to do with "impressing" other refs. It has to do with doing the best job possible. Lots and lots of refs with lots and lots of experience are telling you that you'll do a better job if you don't back-pedal. There's nothing wrong with asking why they say that, but there's definitely something wrong with assuming that you know better than everybody else.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't disagree with this. It just seems that as I "get wider" I get into the coaches who like to roam the outside boundaries of the coaches boxes. I have fallen twice and both times were collisions with coaches. And, I appreciate your comments about safety. I take certain exception to the professionalism knocks.
With all due respect, I also think it looks unprofessional and only a rank beginner backpedals. Save it for the 4th grade park district games.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:39pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
With all due respect, I also think it looks unprofessional and only a rank beginner backpedals. Save it for the 4th grade park district games.
Judge the backpedaler on a case-by-case situation. Maybe the official was never told. Maybe the official never heard about officials camps. Maybe the official is doing his best.
When you put all backpedalers in the *rank beginner* class, you are not doing justice to other skills they bring to the game.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

part of my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Do the coaches and ADs think it looks unprofessional? Do the fans?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
There's nothing wrong with asking why they say that, but there's definitely something wrong with assuming that you know better than everybody else.
Dont assume that Im assuming. I am not assuming and certainly not assuming what you are asserting. To press a few questions wrings all the assuming out of it. I assume you get what Im saying...
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:35pm
We don't rent pigs

As is stated so often for so many things in this business, nothing is absolute. Is backpedalling the best way to make your way down the court while trying to observe the play behind you. Overall, probably not. In certain cases, does it give a better view of a certain part of the play near the sideline. Probably so. Is there greater risk of a serious fall resulting in injury. Probably so. Does it look dramatically worse than running forward while craning one's neck back, or compromising and kinda doing a sideways shuffle. Not if you ask me. Bottom line: try every option and do what you are most comfortable doing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

There are other possible reasons. As an example my "other" sport is soccer. We are taught to backpedal except when additional speed is required. Facing the oncoming play allows a "full view" of the contesting players. To work college soccer part of the annual "physical performance" test is a timed 8 part "agility" sequence of which 4 parts are backpedaling. To NOT backpedal is considered "lazy and unprofessional."

My very first basketball training session I was told not to backpedal, I acquiesced, I now run forward with my head turned, with a "crick" in my neck, and relying on "partial" peripheral vision when I know for a fact that I could backpedal and have a better overall view of the play. But "when in Rome".

So Imeadski just "go along to get along". If you want to advance in basketball, this is not a "hill to die on".
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
There are other possible reasons. As an example my "other" sport is soccer. We are taught to backpedal except when additional speed is required. Facing the oncoming play allows a "full view" of the contesting players. To work college soccer part of the annual "physical performance" test is a timed 8 part "agility" sequence of which 4 parts are backpedaling. To NOT backpedal is considered "lazy and unprofessional."

My very first basketball training session I was told not to backpedal, I acquiesced, I now run forward with my head turned, with a "crick" in my neck, and relying on "partial" peripheral vision when I know for a fact that I could backpedal and have a better overall view of the play. But "when in Rome".

So Imeadski just "go along to get along". If you want to advance in basketball, this is not a "hill to die on".
There's a lot to that "when in Rome" mentality. But in this case there's more to it than just "going along to get along."

There's a significant difference between a soccer field and a basketball court. A soccer field is much larger, the players more spread, and the chances of running into a wall or other solid obstruction are pretty close to zero.

In basketball you don't need to keep such a close eye on what's going on behind you, you've got a partner -- or two -- to cover that. Yeah, you've still got the sideline, but even if you totally ignored it, you're partner would call it.

Due to the limited size of the basketball court, and the dynamic nature of the game, you never know exactly when "additional speed is required." By the time you "turn and burn" in respose to a faster than anticipated break, you've already lost a step or two and there isn't time/distance enough to make it up.

So welcome to Rome. While you're here, soak up the culture and learn to live like a Roman. And if you do it with an open mind, you might just realize that the idiot Romans who infest the place have learned a thing or two along the way.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
NFHS

After a made basket where I will become the new lead, I like to backpedal from about the free throw line to the baseline. I get a full view of the court and the players.

Observers have graded me down for this, without very good reasoning in my opinion. They say you can't see where you are going which is true. However, it is also hard to see running forward with your head turned to the side. Does anyone else do this? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcome.
Backpedalling. Don't do it. Numerous serious injuries have happened. As new lead why would you want to see the whole court? The whole court is not your resposibility. If you understand your primary coverage area you will realize there's no reason to backpedal.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do the coaches and ADs think it looks unprofessional? Do the fans?
IMHO, yes to coaches and any knowledgeble fan would also. Just my view.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
There's a lot to that "when in Rome" mentality.

But in this case there's more to it than just "going along to get along."So welcome to Rome. While you're here, soak up the culture and learn to live like a Roman. And if you do it with an open mind, you might just realize that the idiot Romans who infest the place have learned a thing or two along the way.
Ooh, I like it!

Like many others, I was told long ago not to backpedal too. I still do it on an oft occasion, but, normally only a step or two until I can turn and run as directed.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
NFHS
NF, NCAA, NBA, FIBA you do not backpedal.

Quote:
After a made basket where I will become the new lead, I like to backpedal from about the free throw line to the baseline. I get a full view of the court and the players.

Observers have graded me down for this, without very good reasoning in my opinion. They say you can't see where you are going which is true. However, it is also hard to see running forward with your head turned to the side. Does anyone else do this? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcome.
No other action I can think of screams "rookie" like backpedaling in a basketball game. Then usually you can find other actions that prove you are a "rookie" later.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. I cant run fast forwards or backpedaling.
2. Running forward. But refer to #1.
3. If I turn my head to see where I am going I take my eye off the play.
4. If I fall when backpedaling or running I wont catch myself, the floor will.!
1. In all seriousness, you might need to consider hanging them up if you're that bad off.

2. Refer to #1.

3. I don't think anyone here ALWAYS runs with their head turned, looking over their shoulder. I don't. I make quick turns of the head to make sure there's nothing in my way.

4. Who said anything about falling? I asked "Can you more easily catch yourself if you stumble if you're running forward or backpedaling?" Stumble while backpedaling and you're going down. Stumble while running forward and there's an opportunity to catch yourself before you fall. If you do fall, you're more able to avoid busting your head running forward.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Backpedalling. Don't do it. Numerous serious injuries have happened. As new lead why would you want to see the whole court? The whole court is not your resposibility. If you understand your primary coverage area you will realize there's no reason to backpedal.

In 2 man mechanics there could be a grey area... If your breaking, and the ball is thrown down court and b1 just clobers a2 but new trail doesn't see it cause its technically in new leads area... that can pose problems....

Would anybody here disagree with a back pedal on the last 2 or 3 steps??.. that way you are turned around and in pos but you also have a very good idea of what is behind you cause you just turned around.??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Closed Thread