The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

What about standing at the free throw line and tossing the ball back to the endline when going the length of the court?

What experience level is that?

I have seen experience officials backpedal. Please label correctly.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

If there is a possible steal.. but neather team has control I start a back pedal, and ad soon as control is established and I know its coming I'm turned around an bolting.

I'm asuming thats ok?? right??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
If there is a possible steal.. but neather team has control I start a back pedal, and ad soon as control is established and I know its coming I'm turned around an bolting.

If you're walking backwards, that's okay. If you're running, not so much.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:

Survey says: X

Never want to back pedal, well unless you just drained a 20 ft jumper with two defenders flying at you. It's totally understandable for players, looks & feels good too
But officials should never run backwards!

In transition from old T to new lead (2 person) I use the side step method for a few strides before shifting forward.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Survey says: X

Never want to back pedal, well unless you just drained a 20 ft jumper with two defenders flying at you. It's totally understandable for players, looks & feels good too
But officials should never run backwards!

In transition from old T to new lead (2 person) I use the side step method for a few strides before shifting forward.

Excelent family fued referance. LOL

Duely noted, and I will incorporate into mechanics imediatly.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

This is the only time you should backpedal.

Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Excelent family fued referance. LOL

Duely noted, and I will incorporate into mechanics imediatly.
What are the five correctable errors?

reference
excellent
feud
duly
immediately

Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
What are the five correctable errors?

reference
excellent
feud
duly
immediately

I really wish I could get this spell check to work.

Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Where's Brandan when you need him? I believe he broke his wrist while backpedaling as well.

No backpedaling was emphasised to me because my first games were in a gym with a carpeted floor. It's easy enough to catch a foot on carpet and go down when running forward. Backpedaling on carpet is almost a guaranteed bad experience.

I watched a soccer player do the same thing while running ladders in the gym (early season workout, still too much snow on the field to go outside). He broke his wrist as well. Come to think of it, I never really liked that kid. So it didn't hurt my feelings any that I took his starting spot because of it.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
NFHS

After a made basket where I will become the new lead, I like to backpedal from about the free throw line to the baseline. I get a full view of the court and the players.

Observers have graded me down for this, without very good reasoning in my opinion. They say you can't see where you are going which is true. However, it is also hard to see running forward with your head turned to the side. Does anyone else do this? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcome.
I do the same that you do, backpedal sometimes to get that open. I happen to very flexible and look over my shoulder as well. But yah, I like the back pedal in that situation especially when there is a quick pass and crash you are already open to officiate that play. Like in NCAAREFS post I don't recommend it when I evaluate new officials. I don't downgrade because i do it. Like in someone else's post, one day we will stumble and attention will be on us. I have hit a couple walls as well.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 10:30am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
I do the same that you do, backpedal sometimes to get that open. I happen to very flexible and look over my shoulder as well. But yah, I like the back pedal in that situation especially when there is a quick pass and crash you are already open to officiate that play. Like in NCAAREFS post I don't recommend it when I evaluate new officials. I don't downgrade because i do it. Like in someone else's post, one day we will stumble and attention will be on us. I have hit a couple walls as well.
Tisk, tisk. Everyone was united and telling the OP the same thing until this. Unfortunately, the OP could view this as someone who is in support of what he/she does wrong.
Backpedaling has the potential for injury
Backpedaling doesn't really have an advantage to see more plays
Backpedaling will cause you to get graded down

It sure sounds like backpedaling is the thing to do to me!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Dang, I backpeddled a couple times last night. Consider it stopped...another thing learned here!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
NFHS

After a made basket where I will become the new lead, I like to backpedal from about the free throw line to the baseline. I get a full view of the court and the players.

Observers have graded me down for this, without very good reasoning in my opinion. They say you can't see where you are going which is true. However, it is also hard to see running forward with your head turned to the side. Does anyone else do this? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcome.
I know I'm late to the party on this, but yeah, uhm, don't do that.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Tisk, tisk. Everyone was united and telling the OP the same thing until this. Unfortunately, the OP could view this as someone who is in support of what he/she does wrong.
Backpedaling has the potential for injury
Backpedaling doesn't really have an advantage to see more plays
Backpedaling will cause you to get graded down

It sure sounds like backpedaling is the thing to do to me!
Hopefully, phansen can count votes!
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Had a fellow official do it at a camp where games were going on two courts about 5 feet apart, player went for a loose ball slid into his court and took him out...the first thing to hit the floor was the back of his head. Skull fracture, brain swelling, surgery, and a week in ICU followed. It was six months before he could go back to his regular job and over a year before he reffed again.
Closed Thread