The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 06:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Refreshing comment from player/coach

My local HS boys varsity team lost a squeaker by two points earlier this week. With three seconds left, one of their players was called for an illegal dribble. Did they complain about the officiating and/or the call? No! After the game, the team captain said, (as quoted in the local fishwrap) "We would have won if we had made our free throws." The coach said, "We had too many scoreless stretches. Can't win when that happens."

Thank you both for having your heads screwed on straight.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

A moving experience

Hmmm. Yesterday my local fish wrapper prominently mentioned how our HS got screwed by a no-call on a shot at the buzzer. I was there for the first half. People I know and respect in other settings were, as they have been all year, acting like apes and idiots. What are house prices like where you are?
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

There is an art to losing with dignity, and one to winning with dignity.

Too often those who come out on the losing end of athletic contests cry "we were robbed"--the handiest excuse for why they can't find a decent reason for their collapse. The convenience of blaming "bad calls" or "willfully biased officiating" (euphemism for cheating) is the dodge of choice among teams that cannot stand to give proper credit to their opponents for being better....or proper blame to themselves for not being good enough!

However, it is refreshing when some athletes and some coaches rise above the crowd.

Thanks, Mark, for reminding us that these kinds of "good sports" do still exist!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Last night I was working the championship game of a Christmas tournament---very physical (much more than a typical girls game), very close. With under a minute left, the visiting coach says to me: "You guys did a great job tonight, no matter what the outcome." At that point it was a one point game.

(I'd even made a disconcertion call against his bench earlier---one of the girls yelled "Box!" just as the shooter would release the ball. The second time she did this, I called it. The coach was incredulous, and the fans of that team started yelling "Box!" loudly on every subsequent FT.)