The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:28am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Do your job. You shouldn't be concerned with the ramifications for the coach, players, or school. The state has been forced to take this step because the problem has gotten out of hand. When you don't do your job, you become part of the problem, not part of the solution.

AMEN BROTHER!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Why do you have a problem if a StateHSAA fines schools for bad behavior? How a StateHSAA disciplines its member schools over bad behavior is not the concern of a game official. Officiate the game per the rules, period!

A StateHSAA has these rules in place to punish schools for bad behavior. Once an official starts to factor in what a StateHSAA is going to do to the school then the official is no longer doing his job as an official. The punishments that a StateHSAA levies against its member schools have no bearing on how the game is officiated.

Conduct that warrants an ejection whether there are fines or not is conduct that warrants an ejection. I am really suprised at the amount of hand wringing by officials in this thread over the punishments that a StateHSAA is imposing on its member schools. And official should do his job and not worry about it.

MTD, Sr.
As an official, I could care less. As an observer and fan of the game of basketball, I don't like it at first blush.

Now, I don't have nearly enough info to make a decision, but I'm also a realist that believes we currently don't see enough enforcement of the rules of sportsmanship and think there will be a lot of officials, whether they should or not, who will factor this into their decision on a "marginal" 2nd tech or a flagrant vs. non-flagrant foul.

Hopefully I'm wrong on both accounts and the fines act as deterrents AND officials don't allow them to impact their decision-making processes.

I'm certainly not "wringing my hands'" but I also enjoy good discussion about what states are doing in the area of sportsmanship enforcement. And I just don't like monetary fines at the high school level...
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
As a property tax payer, I'd be against it.
Very well said. If the school paid these fines, and I found about this practice, I would be contacting the school board myself, or even politicians.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Very well said. If the school paid these fines, and I found about this practice, I would be contacting the school board myself, or even politicians.

And I hope that you would be contacting these people to demand that they punish the players for their unsportsmanlike behavior and fire the coaches that exhibit unsportsmanlike behavior.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
As an official, if the money goes to the officials I'm all for it. As a property tax payer, I'd be against it.
I wonder how players and coaches behaviors would be affected if they KNEW the officials had some commission spiffs available to them if they DQ someone.

I say this and so far this year, players and coaches have been very easy to work with. I've only had to issue 2 warnings and both times the coaches changed their ways and the game got better.