Thread: Agree or not??
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:13am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
My biggest concern is that it may make officials more reluctant to toss a player or bench personnel that need to be tossed.

I also have a problem with a fine related to a player on the court doing something emotional but flagrant. Should the school have to pay $300 because a player in the heat of a scrum did something to get tossed?

Why do you have a problem if a StateHSAA fines schools for bad behavior? How a StateHSAA disciplines its member schools over bad behavior is not the concern of a game official. Officiate the game per the rules, period!

A StateHSAA has these rules in place to punish schools for bad behavior. Once an official starts to factor in what a StateHSAA is going to do to the school then the official is no longer doing his job as an official. The punishments that a StateHSAA levies against its member schools have no bearing on how the game is officiated.

Conduct that warrants an ejection whether there are fines or not is conduct that warrants an ejection. I am really suprised at the amount of hand wringing by officials in this thread over the punishments that a StateHSAA is imposing on its member schools. And official should do his job and not worry about it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio