The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

i am a new offical & recently had a game w/ a partner who recently got carded but has been officiating rec leagues for about 5 yrs. the game was a 8 th grade girls game. we missed a crash in the middle of the key. we both acknowlegded the mistake. about 3 plays later a1 intentionally pushes b1 sending her to the floor violently(she hurt her knee & could not return to the game). my partner calls a common foul. my partner called both coaches together & said if the rough play did not stop, that he would forfeit the game. i was suprised to hear that & did not necessarily agree. one of the coaches responded negatively. he started to scream that he could not do that & we should be calling techincals & throwing players out instead of forfeting. i did not know the rules at the time but i felt that since we missed the crash, it lead to this situation. i thought, the second foul should have been flagrant t along w/ meeting w/ coaches about rough play instead of initially threatening forefit. needless to say, it got ugly parnter & coach screaming & inappropriate things being said along aggressive body language. i supported my parnter & attempted to communicate the spirit in which my partner tried to resolve the issue. the game continued however, the other team forfeited because a player twisted her ankle(no contact) & they only had 4 player. my understading of the rules is that if a team continues to challenge the integrity of the game after technicals have been given, then we have the authority to stop the game. in this situation we did not even call a flagrant t. also, i would like some advice about handling a situation when you do not agree w/ your partner & what do you do when he/she is getting into this type of situation. i tried to get him to move away from the other coach but it did not work, he was so angry. thanks
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you did all you can do. You are best to let your partner live and die with what he does. At best try to get togather and talk about what you want to do. Sometimes your partner may get excited( for lack of better words)If you are the calm one and have a better solution then suggest it. After that he has to decide. Pregame can sometimes prevent missing a crash.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent job in using common sense and preventive officiating, even though it did not work. You rose above the level of your inexperience!
Does this league not allow a team to continue with 4 players, as long as the team has a chance to win? Most levels of play do allow this.
Officials should never threaten while talking with coaches, because inevitably the coach will call your challenge. Also, never mention the word 'forfeit' as it is the ultimate penalty and only should be used as a last resort. Throw out the coach, throw out the assistant (as long as you have another available) or tell the assistant that he has lost all rights and must remain seated for the duration of the night--he will not know any different; but 'forfeit' only in the most extreme cases.

Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

yes the league allows a team to finish the game w/ 4 players. the other coach sensed the hostile environment & the fact they had no chance of winning so he called the game. thanks a lot for your advise
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

one good thing take this as a major learning experience. This should definitely make you a stronger official. I think your partner was out of line, but try to support him on the floor as much as you can. You are your only friends out there. If you disagreed with him, talk about it after the game, and voice your opinion on what both of you think should have been done to save the game. You are putting yourself in a position to make the calls so make them. You will not please everyone every play. Hang in there, the good times will out weigh the bad. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

------------------
foxyref
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Matthew
You handled this very resposibly. However, if I was the referee, I would have called a techinal on the player that pushed down the other player.