Thread: Agree or not??
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Agree or not??

In my second year now and having a blast. Mostly V and JV action in a basketball happy area. Like others, I have seen the game slow down around me more this year, and it keeps just getting better.

So, my state has now added something I can't quite agree with (not that they asked). I wanted to see if it was my inexperience or if anybody else agreed with me to disagree with my state (or maybe there are other states like this for the HS level)

The first ejection for a team (bench Personnel or player) is a fine of $300.
The second in a game is $500.
The third is $750.

It's not the 2nd and 3rd that bother, a game should never be that out of control. The first one is sometimes hard for me to accept. Although I have noticed coaches will quickly pull their players out who tend to be 'emotional' and I like that, but I am reluctant to strickly enforce this to the coaches.
While they may truely deserve the first T they get from me, and then they have lost their box. I often see coaches seatbelted get caught up in a tight game and hop up, out of habit no doubt, to instruct their team. Usually a glimpse can remind them, but understandably, not always.

Now, if they were to get up to say ONE WORD to me during a live ball, that's it, goodnight coach. But I hate to punish a school (the place kids go to get an education) for the other situation.

I think some schools have told coaches they will not absorb this cost and place this burden on the offender, but from my understanding, the state holds the school responsible. Any thoughts?