The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:01pm
(Something hilarious)

Sommersault = Leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. Violation.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Post game I told my partner I probably would not have wacked her if not for the fact she had already been warned.
She didn't do anything against the rules unless what she said was itself unsportsmanlike...and that's unlikely since it involved her own team's fans. I would not have even warned her....definitely no T for the sommersault.[/QUOTE]

After re-reading rule 10, I see that inciting the crowd is listed in the bench technical rule (10-4) and not in the player technical section (10-3). I stand corrected on that point.

Last edited by ranjo; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 05:05pm.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
I would conclude she WAS making a travesty of the game.
If you truly believe that it was a travesty of the game, then the appropriate penalty is not a technical foul.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not have whacked the girl for the acrobatics.
You're joking, right?

I do think the original thought of a "travesty" isn't a bad one, and if you want to end the game right then and there -- no forfeit, no suspension, just game over, especially given what the coach had said -- that would be fine. So if you want to avoid the T and end the game, that's fine. Otherwise, you don't have a choice here. You WILL lose control if you don't.

I've said it before on here and it may have been misunderstood: if there is ANY justification for a T, you can always support that call and you should likely err, especially in a blowout game, on the side of the T. In other words, you err on the side of giving one rather than not giving one. I know a lot of successful officials who have been or still are "red-***" officials. They'll serve up a T for someone looking at them wrong. Other than maybe a few road bumps here and there, this attitude hasn't overly hurt their career. Whether you want to be a red-*** or not, a T in this situation can easily be supported later.

Unfortunately, I speak from bad experiences in this area. Trust me: give the T or end the game.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I got into the habit of easing up on things when it was a blow out. Early last season I got tired of having my decently officiated games turn into train wrecks cause i lightened up on the whistle the last couple of minutes of a game. Now I officiate to the end. And probably to no one's surprise my train wrecks have been almost non-existent. Do I still have games where things are on the edge of tilting ? Of course but NOT because I was easing up on my whistle.

Does "red-***" = hard-*** ?

Or do we have some kinda Texas thing going on ?

Last edited by Chess Ref; Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 08:49am.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I come down on the "Justified T" side here: 1. She obviously pulled the stunt to elicit a crowd reaction and call attention to herself.
So? That alone is certainly not a reason for a T. The team was down and effectively conceding the game. Nothing she did was taunting or disrespectful to anyone. It was a moment to smile at.

Quote:
2. She had been warned previously
For saying some unknown words to a supporter of her own team. If you don't know what was said, this seems really overly officious. Perhaps they were making pizza arrangement for after the game.
Quote:
3. Last time I checked, a somersault didn't have much value in terms of basketball (unless maybe you're a Globetrotter) so I would conclude she WAS making a travesty of the game.
That is hardly a travesty...I'm sure the winning team found it at least amusing. A travesty is when a team does something like repeated violating on purpose as if to protest or other such actions...not doing something goofy when the game is essentially over.
Quote:
Maybe she'll think twice next time, if nothing else.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo

Home coach calls a time out with 58 seconds left in the game and tells me he has lost the game, doesn't want any of his players hurt, and will drop into a non-defensive zone or just hold the ball if he gets it, and wants the opposing coach to know it. Both coaches come to the table and home coach tells the visiting coach the same thing.
"Coaches, could we just agree to shorten the quarter by 58 seconds?"

A great time to utilize 5-5-3.

Would have saved you some headache.