The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Worst games ever

Last Friday. 2 Girls Junior High Games. First Game, final score, 26-0. Team that lost really was that bad. They had one chance to score from the line in the 1st quarter, but missed both FTs. Had a lot of close ones, but nothing would fall in. But they really were as bad as the score indicated, as you will see in a moment.

Next game, two different teams, One team didn't score until there was 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Somehow, they also then managed to score on the first possession of the 4th quarter, and scored a total of 12 points in the game. I was done at that point, thank goodness.

Next game, the team that got shut out in the first game was playing again. They were down 8-0 at the half, at which point I left. I did hear later that they managed to score 2 points in the 4th quarter.

So, what's the worst game situation you've had to endure?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Last Friday. 2 Girls Junior High Games. First Game, final score, 26-0. Team that lost really was that bad.
I had many. This is why I stopped working JH Girl's games years ago.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

When I coached Jr. High Boys, we didn't have officials come to the girls 7 grade A & B games. It just wasn't worth paying someone to go through the misery, I guess. We used assistant coaches to call these.

Refs showed up for the 8th grade girls and boys.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a title ix nightmare in the making IMO
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:01pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Last Friday. 2 Girls Junior High Games. First Game, final score, 26-0. Team that lost really was that bad. They had one chance to score from the line in the 1st quarter, but missed both FTs. Had a lot of close ones, but nothing would fall in. But they really were as bad as the score indicated, as you will see in a moment.

{... snippage ...}

So, what's the worst game situation you've had to endure?
In 1999, I was at a CYO JV (4th, 5th & 6th grade) Boys game where we lost 46-0. We had a team made up mostly of 4th graders and some 5th graders and 1-2 6th graders. the CYO , in its infinite widsom, put us in a division of teams that were mostly all 6th graders. Needless to say, the team went winless that year.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
sounds like a title ix nightmare in the making IMO
This relates to Title IX..... how...?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
In 1999, I was at a CYO JV (4th, 5th & 6th grade) Boys game where we lost 46-0. We had a team made up mostly of 4th graders and some 5th graders and 1-2 6th graders. the CYO , in its infinite widsom, put us in a division of teams that were mostly all 6th graders. Needless to say, the team went winless that year.
well I officiated a Girls Frosh game where the visitors won 41-0....It was sad. I "saw" 2 fouls in the 4th qtr to put the losers on the line . 3 airballs and the 4th hit the rim. It was sad.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I was kid playing Parochial League ball in the 60's my team of 4th-6th graders played against teams composed primarily of 7th-8th graders. Needless to say we lost a lot by a lot. The one game in particular that I still vividly remember was when we played the 7th-8th grade team from my school. We spent almost the entire 4th quarter in our end shooting...3-4 of us had older brothers on the 7th-8th team. They would rebound our (badly) missed shots, give us the ball and we would shoot again...and miss again, over and over and over. Finally, with about 1 minute left in the game, my best friend hit a shot after his brother had given him yet another rebound. Final score...59-2. It was straight out of a bad Disney movie. Funny the things your remember...
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't had a skunk game, but have come close a couple of times. Last year, a girl's frosh team didn't score until the middle of the third in the first game I had them. Had them twice more and I think they topped out 10.

Interestingly, 2 years ago, I had a 3 game set of 7th grade girls. You want to get Al-Queda to surrender? Put their prisoners on those games. Anyway, in the C team game, we had 4 fouls the ENTIRE game. 1 in the first half. And no, we didn't just ignore everything. We probably let some things go, but honestly, it was as clean a girls game as I've ever seen.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
This relates to Title IX..... how...?
Hiring officials for boys games but using assistant coaches to officiate the girls games. I'd say they're flirting with disaster.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Hiring officials for boys games but using assistant coaches to officiate the girls games. I'd say they're flirting with disaster.
ah, I see. I thought he was referring to the OP.

Yea, you're right. I hope their own lawyers got ahold of this sitch before an opponent's or parents' lawyer did.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had a 41-6 JVG game a couple years ago. 2 of the visitor baskets were of the lucky variety. You know it will be a long night when during warmups, a layup drill has the players all dribble up to the basket, stop, and take two-handed set shots. And most of them are from directly under the rim.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
and 1-2 6th graders.
So.......3rd graders?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I had a 41-6 JVG game a couple years ago. 2 of the visitor baskets were of the lucky variety. You know it will be a long night when during warmups, a layup drill has the players all dribble up to the basket, stop, and take two-handed set shots. And most of them are from directly under the rim....
.... and they only hit 20%.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
So.......3rd graders?
No, Mark. guys in wheelchairs.