The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Worst games ever (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40125-worst-games-ever.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:13pm

Worst games ever

Last Friday. 2 Girls Junior High Games. First Game, final score, 26-0. Team that lost really was that bad. They had one chance to score from the line in the 1st quarter, but missed both FTs. Had a lot of close ones, but nothing would fall in. But they really were as bad as the score indicated, as you will see in a moment.

Next game, two different teams, One team didn't score until there was 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Somehow, they also then managed to score on the first possession of the 4th quarter, and scored a total of 12 points in the game. I was done at that point, thank goodness.

Next game, the team that got shut out in the first game was playing again. They were down 8-0 at the half, at which point I left. I did hear later that they managed to score 2 points in the 4th quarter.

So, what's the worst game situation you've had to endure?

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Last Friday. 2 Girls Junior High Games. First Game, final score, 26-0. Team that lost really was that bad.

I had many. This is why I stopped working JH Girl's games years ago.

Peace

texaspaul Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:20pm

When I coached Jr. High Boys, we didn't have officials come to the girls 7 grade A & B games. It just wasn't worth paying someone to go through the misery, I guess. We used assistant coaches to call these.

Refs showed up for the 8th grade girls and boys.

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:28pm

sounds like a title ix nightmare in the making IMO

Stat-Man Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Last Friday. 2 Girls Junior High Games. First Game, final score, 26-0. Team that lost really was that bad. They had one chance to score from the line in the 1st quarter, but missed both FTs. Had a lot of close ones, but nothing would fall in. But they really were as bad as the score indicated, as you will see in a moment.

{... snippage ...}

So, what's the worst game situation you've had to endure?

In 1999, I was at a CYO JV (4th, 5th & 6th grade) Boys game where we lost 46-0. We had a team made up mostly of 4th graders and some 5th graders and 1-2 6th graders. the CYO , in its infinite widsom, put us in a division of teams that were mostly all 6th graders. Needless to say, the team went winless that year.

rainmaker Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
sounds like a title ix nightmare in the making IMO

This relates to Title IX..... how...?

Chess Ref Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man
In 1999, I was at a CYO JV (4th, 5th & 6th grade) Boys game where we lost 46-0. We had a team made up mostly of 4th graders and some 5th graders and 1-2 6th graders. the CYO , in its infinite widsom, put us in a division of teams that were mostly all 6th graders. Needless to say, the team went winless that year.

well I officiated a Girls Frosh game where the visitors won 41-0....It was sad. I "saw" 2 fouls in the 4th qtr to put the losers on the line . 3 airballs and the 4th hit the rim. It was sad.:(

Corndog89 Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:17pm

Quote:

When I was kid playing Parochial League ball in the 60's my team of 4th-6th graders played against teams composed primarily of 7th-8th graders. Needless to say we lost a lot by a lot. The one game in particular that I still vividly remember was when we played the 7th-8th grade team from my school. We spent almost the entire 4th quarter in our end shooting...3-4 of us had older brothers on the 7th-8th team. They would rebound our (badly) missed shots, give us the ball and we would shoot again...and miss again, over and over and over. Finally, with about 1 minute left in the game, my best friend hit a shot after his brother had given him yet another rebound. Final score...59-2. It was straight out of a bad Disney movie. Funny the things your remember...

Texas Aggie Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24pm

I haven't had a skunk game, but have come close a couple of times. Last year, a girl's frosh team didn't score until the middle of the third in the first game I had them. Had them twice more and I think they topped out 10.

Interestingly, 2 years ago, I had a 3 game set of 7th grade girls. You want to get Al-Queda to surrender? Put their prisoners on those games. Anyway, in the C team game, we had 4 fouls the ENTIRE game. 1 in the first half. And no, we didn't just ignore everything. We probably let some things go, but honestly, it was as clean a girls game as I've ever seen.

Adam Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
This relates to Title IX..... how...?

Hiring officials for boys games but using assistant coaches to officiate the girls games. I'd say they're flirting with disaster.

rainmaker Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Hiring officials for boys games but using assistant coaches to officiate the girls games. I'd say they're flirting with disaster.

ah, I see. I thought he was referring to the OP.

Yea, you're right. I hope their own lawyers got ahold of this sitch before an opponent's or parents' lawyer did.

26 Year Gap Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:56pm

I had a 41-6 JVG game a couple years ago. 2 of the visitor baskets were of the lucky variety. You know it will be a long night when during warmups, a layup drill has the players all dribble up to the basket, stop, and take two-handed set shots. And most of them are from directly under the rim.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:59pm

Quote:

and 1-2 6th graders.

So.......3rd graders? :confused:

rainmaker Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I had a 41-6 JVG game a couple years ago. 2 of the visitor baskets were of the lucky variety. You know it will be a long night when during warmups, a layup drill has the players all dribble up to the basket, stop, and take two-handed set shots. And most of them are from directly under the rim....

.... and they only hit 20%.

rainmaker Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
So.......3rd graders? :confused:

No, Mark. guys in wheelchairs.