The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Worst call I have ever seen!

I apparently made a coach see the worst call ever in a game again. This time (close banger on a caught liner to first base with throw back to second) when the 2nd coach comes out at me during the next middle inning he spurts this out; I reply "No, coach I have seen worse" I say this with a straight face (it has worked in football). Has anyone else used a similar comeback and have they found it to be effective?
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

There is only one good reply to this:

Too bad you won't get to see any more of my calls today.

Either that, or just ignore it. Responding will just generate a dialog from which nothing good will result. Dump him, or ignore him. Plus, unless he's on a direct line from the coaches box to the dugout, he's gone out of his way to get ejected. Don't let him down.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I do not like the reply "No, coach I have seen worse" as coach could take that as you thinking you call was bad (usually not the case) although not the "worst".
When coaches make certain comments to me during a game that do not warrent any conversation, I will ignore them or politely respond "Thank you for your opinion". Generally coaches are stunned that I thanked them and have no further response.
Sam
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Football generally has a different tolerance level than baseball. I've seen/heard things in a football game that would've gotten the coach tossed real quick in a baseball game, but went unpenalized. You gotta let some stuff go in football b/c football is the most emotional game you could ever be a part of- so your comeback will work in a football game. Baseball on the other hand- dump him as the others have stated.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
What generally works for me is; "coach get back to your bench"....

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

i agree with bob. send him back to his bench, toss him if its warranted, or just say nothing. "comebacks" dont usually work too well.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Last year coach gave "Worst call I've ever seen" speech to partner. Partner told him "you need to coach more, 'cause there're some crazy-a$$ umps out here", then turned his back and walked away. Coach shook his head and left- we were all waiting for "yeah, and you're one of them!" or something like that.

Don't mess around too much with the comebacks- it can feel good to zing a coach or player, but if they have a good answer it'll look like you're tossing them for getting the best of you, not for arguing.

Bainer.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainer
Last year coach gave "Worst call I've ever seen" speech to partner. Partner told him "you need to coach more, 'cause there're some crazy-a$$ umps out here", then turned his back and walked away. Coach shook his head and left- we were all waiting for "yeah, and you're one of them!" or something like that.

Don't mess around too much with the comebacks- it can feel good to zing a coach or player, but if they have a good answer it'll look like you're tossing them for getting the best of you, not for arguing.

Bainer.

Amen, brother. I refrain from talking to coaches at all. Nothing good EVER comes of it.

Doug
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

While the exact phrase, "Worst call I have ever seen" does not enter this post, I think that this situation is very similar. HS Varsity. Second game of DH. Bottom of the seventh. Tied at 5. Home team loads the bases with 1 out. Batter works the count to 3-2. My partner calls a high and tight pitch ball four. Good call. Winning runs scores. Visiting team is highly upset. Assistant coach rushes toward the plate saying, "Now how can you call that?" I come in to assure that my partner is not alone in this situation and actually have to tell the "asst. rat" to back off. I tell my partner to just leave. No debate here. "The pitcher needed to throw a strike and didn't. Let's go." Heard many comments from the fans as we walked to our cars. Seriously considered writing a report on the behavior of this coach but didn't have a name and wasn't going to stick around to get one.

Last edited by Stripes1950; Fri May 26, 2006 at 08:32pm.