The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto

Example: A1, who is standing in the backcourt, throws a pass with spin that bounces in the frontcourt and is caught by A2, who is also standing in the backcourt. This is a violation.
Care to check the wording of the text on that one?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Care to check the wording of the text on that one?
I don't get it. What's wrong with his/her example?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I don't get it. What's wrong with his/her example?
Go check the SPECIFIC words used in the text and you'll see.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Go check the SPECIFIC words used in the text and you'll see.
Is your issue that I said "the backcourt" instead of "his/her backcourt"? Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Nope, my issue is A2.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, my issue is A2.
OK, then, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

We both agree that 9-9-1 doesn't apply to your scenario since that requires a touch in the frontcourt. Therefore, if the play is to be a violation it must be due to 9-9-2.

Here's the text of 9-9-2: "While in team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, and be the first to touch it in the backcourt."

The words "or a teammate" do not appear in that article as they do in the first one.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We both agree that 9-9-1 doesn't apply to your scenario since that requires a touch in the frontcourt. Therefore, if the play is to be a violation it must be due to 9-9-2.

Here's the text of 9-9-2: "While in team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, and be the first to touch it in the backcourt."

The words "or a teammate" do not appear in that article as they do in the first one.
Ah. I forgot that NFHS wording on the backcourt rule was different from NCAA.

I should have a tag-line that says that all of my posts are based on NCAA rules, which is what we use here in NY for girls HS ball.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if the NFHS intends for your play to be a violation or not, but I do know that by the specific wording of the rule it is not. If the NFHS wishes to correct that, then they need to change the wording of the rule to something such as ""When a player, while in team control in his/her backcourt, causes the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, he/she or a teammate shall not be the first to touch it."

See the difference?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't know if the NFHS intends for your play to be a violation or not, but I do know that by the specific wording of the rule it is not. If the NFHS wishes to correct that, then they need to change the wording of the rule to something such as ""When a player, while in team control in his/her backcourt, causes the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, he/she or a teammate shall not be the first to touch it."
Or maybe instead of changing the rule, they can issue a case book play explaining the rule.

Wait, they've already done that. It's called casebook play 4.4.4(b). That states "It is a violation for A1 to cause the ball to go from A's backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt untouched if A1 or a teammate is the first to touch it after it has returned to backcourt." Rule 9-9-2 is cited as the rules reference.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

my mind is getting warped but these have been helpful i think. but i know i've seen this one...Fantasy Football playoffs being today!!!!

is this backcourt- a1 in frontcourt passes the ball and a2 from backcourt jumps up catches the ball in air and lands in the frontcourt. I think it is a backcourt violation. I know it's legal in a inbounds situation.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
my mind is getting warped but these have been helpful i think. but i know i've seen this one...Fantasy Football playoffs being today!!!!

is this backcourt- a1 in frontcourt passes the ball and a2 from backcourt jumps up catches the ball in air and lands in the frontcourt. I think it is a backcourt violation. I know it's legal in a inbounds situation.
backcourt violation when A2 catches the ball.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze

I think you may be getting the inbounds exception involving A2 jumping from the frontcourt and landing in the backcourt (not the other way around) mixed up with this situation, which is much more simple.

The key here is that A1 is in the frontcourt and A2 is in the backcourt (you are where you were...) when he/she catches the ball. That's the violation right there. It would be no different if A2 were standing in the backcourt.