The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Over and back?

Ball in A's frontcourt. ball is deflected by B into backcourt. Players scramble for ball on ground. Sliding across halfcourt, A is first to touch. Half of his body in frontcourt, and half in backcourt. Over and back?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

No, ball has backcourt status as soon as it bounces in the back-court, B made it go into the backcourt and A was just trying to retrieve it...
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

No

By what I am reading no. The way I understand your post is he didn't touch it until the ball was in the back court. If this is the case he is the first to touch it in the backcourt but was NOT the last to touch it in the front court B was on the tip away.
If you changed the play to b hit ball away and while ball was still in frontcourt A dove (made contact with ball) and both ball and half of his body went to the backcourt then you could have over and back.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Good! I thought that once the ball gained backcourt location my no call was correct. However if A did touch the ball first after the deflection by B, is it the touch or does he half to have control. If after B deflects the ball back tword halfcourt line A dives for the ball. Bobbles it while going across halfcourt, then gains control in the backcourt.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Once the ball has frontcourt status, if A is the last to touch it in the frontcourt and the first to touch it in the backcourt, over and back. Nothing about control.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719
Good! I thought that once the ball gained backcourt location my no call was correct. However if A did touch the ball first after the deflection by B, is it the touch or does he half to have control. If after B deflects the ball back tword halfcourt line A dives for the ball. Bobbles it while going across halfcourt, then gains control in the backcourt.
To answer your first question, as long as A is the last to touch a ball in the frontcourt and first to touch in the backcourt, it's a violation, assuming there was team control. Team A still has team control during a deflected pass.

If B deflects the ball towards half court, and anyone from A touches the ball before it goes into the backcourt, and then any player from A is the first to touch the ball in the backcourt, it is a violation.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

BIG2CAT--there must still be TEAM control in order to have a violation. Take this situation:

A1 attempts a shot and misses. During the rebound, A2 tips the ball back and the ball goes into the back court where it is retreived by A3. This would not be a violation, as team control ended when the shot was released by A1, and no team control was established simply on the tip by A2.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that since I was posting right after his situation that people would understand that is what I was talking about and answering his question. I should have clarified I was talking about his situation.

Your situation is correct.

(I should have just added this--assuming there was team control)
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It was the statement, "Nothing about control" that triggered the response. It is all about control. Since a defensive tip does not end team control, then it's a violation for A to be the last to touch on the 2nd play mentioned and then be the first to touch after the ball went to the backcourt.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Right...but his question was did Team A have to control it in the backcourt to have the violation, or just touch it. Control is not the issue there...touching is. I will be careful to be more clear in the future and realize that the statement "Nothing about control" is too vague. Again, I was talking about his situation where he asked if Team A had to control it or touch it. So, in that part of the situation it is not "All about control", it is about touching.