The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:05am
In Memoriam

And today's lesson from grumpy ol' JR is.......

We're all still learning. Or should be. And we all can learn from anybody. That "anybody" includes not only our supposed peers but new officials, coaches and even (gasp) fanboys. Even the "Old Schools" of the world might come up with something that might be useful. It's worthwhile to at least think about what anybody is saying. I try to.

Our regular programming will now resume.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:26am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Allow me to clarify. I hope that no one takes my previous post as taking a shot at JR. I posted that little laughing gif because I found that post to be one of the funniest that I've read on the forum in five years. It struck me so because of the vast amount of truth that it seems to contain. JR is certainly an old guy who sometimes gets cranky. He rants. He namecalls. He posts strange pictures. He is also one of the best sources of information and counsel on this board. His advice is right a very high percentage of the time. When I post something and he disagrees with it, I am compelled to pause and give it extra thought. His experience simply must be respected, and there is no other poster who makes me question my thoughts more than JR. I truly believe that I am a better official today because of him and the main reason for that is that he tells it like it is. He doesn't sugarcoat his opinions or reponses. He gets right to the point. I don't always like what he has to say, but I always read it and consider it. That includes when he calls me overofficious. No doubt that there are times when I have been and perhaps all of us are or have been at some point in our development. By his calling my attention to these instances, I hope to improve and become more balanced.
Shut up.

How's that for not sugar-coating?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And today's lesson from grumpy ol' JR is.......
Could today also be the day you get up the courage to tell us where you are from?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Could today also be the day you get up the courage to tell us where you are from?
It takes courage?

Whointhehell cares where anybody comes from? What difference does it really make? Would I be less credible if I said that I lived under a bridge just outside of Springfield, Mass.?

Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It takes courage?

Whointhehell cares where anybody comes from? What difference does it really make? Would I be less credible if I said that I lived under a bridge just outside of Springfield, Mass.?

It doesn't make any difference. You are very credible. I was just curious.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It takes courage?

You need to leave Chuck out of this conversation. He is not here to defend himself.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would I be less credible
Impossible.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jurassic Referee

From Nevadaref: "JR is certainly an old guy who sometimes gets cranky. He rants. He namecalls. He posts strange pictures. He is also one of the best sources of information and counsel on this board. His advice is right a very high percentage of the time. When I post something and he disagrees with it, I am compelled to pause and give it extra thought. His experience simply must be respected, and there is no other poster who makes me question my thoughts more than JR. I truly believe that I am a better official today because of him and the main reason for that is that he tells it like it is. He doesn't sugarcoat his opinions or reponses. He gets right to the point. I don't always like what he has to say, but I always read it and consider it. That includes when he calls me overofficious. No doubt that there are times when I have been and perhaps all of us are or have been at some point in our development. By his calling my attention to these instances, I hope to improve and become more balanced."

I agree 100%, however, in the four years that I've been visiting and posting on this Forum, I think that Jurassic Referee has mellowed a little, he has certainly decreased his namecalling, and he has saved his ranting for thjngs that really deserve ranting. Maybe it's because Old School has dissappeared.