The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Charge/Block contact

I am pretty sure I got this right, but want to know your opinion.

A1 has the ball on the wing about foul line extended. A2 is at the top of the key and breaks toward the basket, moving around a screen set by A3. The entry pass to A2 is high and A2 leaps high in the air and secures the ball. B4, seeing the play, sets up in the path of A2 around the second lane position (out from underneath the basket). A2 lands on one foot and continues toward the basket taking a step with the other foot (although not a hugh step). With the second step, A2 contacts B4, knocking B4 to the floor. This was a bang-bang play and B4 did not establish position until A2 was in the air.

Because A2 had control of the ball, I called a charging foul on A2. However, if A2 were just cutting to the basket without the ball, I probably could have called a block on B4 because I did not think A2 would have had time and distance to react (due to the timing of B4 establishing position in the path of A2).

If I did get this right, I thank the board for previous threads that have helped me understand this play. I remember comments and a youtube video.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA

A1 has the ball on the wing about foul line extended. A2 is at the top of the key and breaks toward the basket, moving around a screen set by A3. The entry pass to A2 is high and A2 leaps high in the air and secures the ball. B4, seeing the play, sets up in the path of A2 around the second lane position (out from underneath the basket). A2 lands on one foot and continues toward the basket taking a step with the other foot (although not a hugh step). With the second step, A2 contacts B4, knocking B4 to the floor. This was a bang-bang play and B4 did not establish position until A2 was in the air.

Because A2 had control of the ball, I called a charging foul on A2. However, if A2 were just cutting to the basket without the ball, I probably could have called a block on B4 because I did not think A2 would have had time and distance to react (due to the timing of B4 establishing position in the path of A2).

If I did get this right, I thank the board for previous threads that have helped me understand this play. I remember comments and a youtube video.
You got the call correct. When A2 secured control of the ball, the restriction for "time and distance" is removed.

Player control foul on A2.

If A2 never did obtain control, then the time and distance factor is obviously a judgment call.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA

Because A2 had control of the ball, I called a charging foul on A2.
You nailed it. Case book play 10.6.1SitA(b) is the exact play. The second step by A2 after landing is irrelevant to the call.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Had the contact been made prior to the first foot hitting the ground, we have a block, correct?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Had the contact been made prior to the first foot hitting the ground, we have a block, correct?
If, as in the OP the defender didn't obtain that position until after A2 left the ground, then yes it would be a block in your scenario.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Great description in the OP by the way. These are hard plays to describe in print. Nicely done.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

So I am reading that when control of the ball established here is the key for the criteria to make this a PC and not a block...

Had the offensive player not gained control of the balland the defender slid under him while in the air, we have a block.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
So I am reading that when control of the ball established here is the key for the criteria to make this a PC and not a block...

Had the offensive player not gained control of the balland the defender slid under him while in the air, we have a block.
Control of the ball AND the fact that A2 had returned to the ground prior to contact.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Control of the ball AND the fact that A2 had returned to the ground prior to contact.
I just read my post and obviously to have PC you have to have the ball! STUPID REF!

So...I then make this commentary...b/c I think I am seeing this play correctly and adding to it for those playing at home...

If B2 obtains the space on the floor while A2 is in the air (regardless of ball control)..B2 has to give room to A2 to come down, correct....othewise he is basically undercutting him..causing this to be a block.

If A2 was in the air and misses the entry pass and the ball sails over his head, B2 obtained his spot, A2 lands with one foot then crashes into B2, we have a push on A2. UNLESS the entry pass was caught by A5 before the crash occured, then we have a team control foul?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
You got the call correct. When A2 secured control of the ball, the restriction for "time and distance" is removed.

Player control foul on A2.

If A2 never did obtain control, then the time and distance factor is obviously a judgment call.
But he told us that A2 did get two steps down...which is enough...the rules say that the distance required is never more than two steps.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
If B2 obtains the space on the floor while A2 is in the air (regardless of ball control)..B2 has to give room to A2 to come down, correct....othewise he is basically undercutting him..causing this to be a block.
Correct, B2 has to give A2 the opportunity to come down. The difference in the OP is whether A2 has control - if he does, B2 doesn't have to give any more space than enough to come down. If A2 doesn't have PC, then B2 must also give enough time and distance for A2 to come to a stop, which could be up to 2 steps.

Quote:
If A2 was in the air and misses the entry pass and the ball sails over his head, B2 obtained his spot, A2 lands with one foot then crashes into B2, we have a push on A2. UNLESS the entry pass was caught by A5 before the crash occured, then we have a team control foul?[/
We don't know if we have a push on A2. It depends on your judgement whether A2 had time and distance to come under control before contacting B2.

If you determine the foul is on A2 for pushing, it is a team control foul in either scenario, as team control continues during a pass.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
But he told us that A2 did get two steps down...which is enough...the rules say that the distance required is never more than two steps.
Good for him then. He still had to judge that two steps were taken.