The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Is the official correct?

Just for a little fun and for some of the new posters/officials. Yeah - I'm bored.

NFHS Rules

1. Team B is beating Team A by 60 points. Before the start of the 4th quarter, Team B's and Team A's coach tell the Referee they both agree to shorten the 4th quarter to 2 minutes.

The Referee tells the coaches that the quarter can't be shortened. Is the official correct?

2. B1 is in their frontcourt. B1's pivot is his/her left foot. B1 lifts his/her pivot foot before passing to B2. The official calls a traveling violation. Is the official correct?

3. B3 is shooting two free throws. B pulls their players from their two lane spots for both shots. The official allows the players from A to move down and occupy each of B's lane spots (Team A has their maximum of 4 players in the lane). Is the official correct?

4. Team B has 6 team fouls. During a throw-in by B, B3 commits a foul on A4. Official calls a team control foul on B and gives the ball to A at the spot nearest to the foul for a throw-in. Is the official correct?

5. Team A has 7 fouls. A1 fouls B3. After directing some comments toward the official, A1 is charged with a technical foul.

The official let's B3 shoot his/her 1 and 1 with the lane cleared. The official then let's B5 (who was in the game at the time of the technical) shoot one of the technical foul free throws and then allows B8 (who was on the bench at the time of the technical) to enter the game and shot the second technical foul free throw. Team B is then given a throw-in opposite table at the division line.

Is the official correct?

(Hopefully I didn't make any little errors...but I'm sure if I did JR, Bob, Mark, Tony, Jim, or Santa will let me know. Heck if I make a really dumb error, I might even pull Chuck out of the wood work.)

Edit 1: Silly errors corrected

Last edited by tjones1; Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 01:50pm.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Just for a little fun and for some of the new posters/officials. Yeah - I'm bored.

NFHS Rules

1. Team B is beating Team A by 60 points. Before the start of the 4th quarter, Team B's and Team A's coach tell the Referee they both agree to shorten the 4th quarter to 2 minutes.

The Referee tells the coaches that the quarter can't be shortened. Is the official correct?

2. B1 is in their frontcourt. B1's pivot is his/her left foot. B1 lifts his/her pivot foot before passing to B2. The official calls a traveling violation. Is the official correct?

3. B3 is shooting two free throws. B pulls their players from their two lane spots for both shots. The official allows a player from A to occupy each of B's lane spots. Is the official correct?

4. Team B has 6 team fouls. During a throw-in by B, B3 commits a foul on A4. Official calls a team control foul on B and gives the ball to A at the spot nearest to the foul for a throw-in. Is the official correct?

5. Team A has 7 fouls. A1 fouls B3. After directing some comments toward the official, A1 is charged with a technical foul.

The official let's B3 shoot his/her 1 and 1 with the lane cleared. The official then let's B5 (who was in the game at the time of the technical) shoot one of the technical foul free throws and then allows A8 (who was on the bench at the time of the technical) to enter the game and shot the second technical foul free throw. Team B is then given a throw-in opposite table at the division line.

Is the official correct?

(Hopefully I didn't make any little errors...but I'm sure if I did JR, Bob, Mark, Tony, Jim, or Santa will let me know. Heck if I make a really dumb error, I might even pull Chuck out of the wood work.)

In number five are you going to allow a member of the offending team, A8, shoot the remaining free throw?
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Heck if I make a really dumb error, I might even pull Chuck out of the wood work.)
Good luck with that...
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... and then allows A8 (who was on the bench at the time of the technical) to enter the game and shot the second technical foul free throw. ...

You mean such as that one? I'm ticked that I didn't make the list.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 12:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I'm also curious as to why in question two, you specified that the player was in front court. Does it matter to the question? No. Also, in question three, if the official allows team A to take both of team B's lane spots and team A still occupies their own spots, it would mean that team A has six players. Actually, if you read it closely, you have one team A player occupying two spots at the same time on opposite sides of the lane. That must be one big kid!

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 12:58pm.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 01:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You mean such as that one? I'm ticked that I didn't make the list.
So you're not Santa... son of a...
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 01:52pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I'm also curious as to why in question two, you specified that the player was in front court. Does it matter to the question? No. Also, in question three, if the official allows team A to take both of team B's lane spots and team A still occupies their own spots, it would mean that team A has six players. Actually, if you read it closely, you have one team A player occupying two spots at the same time on opposite sides of the lane. That must be one big kid!
I never said all the information provided was important and/or would be used to answer the question. Didn't you ever take an exam that had matching and there were more choices than questions.

In #3, yes, I can see where that was misleading. Hopefully my correction has fixed the problem. Thanks Mark.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

OK I'm gonna play. Let's see if the old brain is working. I'll imitate Nevada by giving the reules references for some of them.

1. Nope. They can mutually agree anytime and if the coach down by 60 wants to keep playing call an ambulance and get him in a psych unit. 5-5-3
2. No travel. Pivot foot is in the air on the pass. 4-43-B
3. Yep - they can move down if team A doesn't want them.(Because I said so
4. Nope, No team control on a throw in. 4-12-6
5. Yep, Violations are penalized inthe order in whichthey occured. No rule dictates the same shooter has to shoot both throws. (Because I said so.)

-----------------

So, Tanner, how did I do?

Last edited by refnrev; Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 09:08pm.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NFHS Rules

Yes. Not positive about this one, though.

No. As long as the player didn't return his/her pivot foot to the floor before passing.

3. B3 is shooting two free throws. B pulls their players from their two lane spots for both shots. The official allows the players from A to move down and occupy each of B's lane spots (Team A has their maximum of 4 players in the lane). Is the official correct?

Yes.

No. No team control during throw-in.

The official let's B3 shoot his/her 1 and 1 with the lane cleared. The official then let's B5 (who was in the game at the time of the technical) shoot one of the technical foul free throws and then allows B8 (who was on the bench at the time of the technical) to enter the game and shot the second technical foul free throw. Team B is then given a throw-in opposite table at the division line.

Is the official correct?

Yes.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho
Yes. Not positive about this one, though.
You can become positive by checking 5-5-3
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
OK I'm gonna play. Let's see if the old brain is working. I'll imitate Nevada by giving the reules references for some of them.

1. Nope. They can mutually agree anytime and if the coach down by 60 wants to keep playing call an ambulance and get him in a psych unit. 5-3
2. No travel. Pivot foot is in the air on the pass. 4-43-B
3. Yep - they can move down if team A doesn't want them.(Because I said so
4. Nope, No team control on a throw in. 4-12-6
5. Yep, Violations are penalized inthe order in whichthey occured. No rule dictates the same shooter has to shoot both throws. (Because I said so.)

-----------------
1. There is a nuance that you are overlooking and it is in 5-5-3.
2. 4-44-3a; 4.44.3 Sit C
3. 8-1-4e
5. These are fouls, not violations. Yes, they are administered in order per 8-7, but you misspelled "occurred." A specific NFHS interp says the two throwers may be different. (2003-04 Sit 13, reference given is 8-3)
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Not nuances... typos .
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not nuances... typos .
No, seriously, there is one aspect of this play that is being overlooked. It appeared on an NFHS rules exam a few years ago. Try to find it.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I give up. What is it?
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I give up. What is it?
Ok, here's the NFHS exam question from the 2000-01 Part 1 exam:

75. Playing time for a varsity game may be reduced by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches.

Is your answer true or false?