The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

2-10 question

Team A is fouled. No bonus light on and no indication from the table. On A's next possession, B1 fouls A1 on a shot, the basket went in. However, just before A1's release, and the whistle for the foul, the horn sounds. The table informs us that the previous foul should have been a one-and-one. What is the proper way to correct this?
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:52am
Never Stop Learning

Sounds like this was in the proper time frame for a correctable error to be enforced. Shoot the one and one with the lane clear, then the and one with the lane full and continue on from there. All action between the error and the made shot stands. The horn should be ignored.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Sat Dec 01, 2007 at 12:54am.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 04:12am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Ref63
Team A is fouled. No bonus light on and no indication from the table. On A's next possession, B1 fouls A1 on a shot, the basket went in. However, just before A1's release, and the whistle for the foul, the horn sounds. The table informs us that the previous foul should have been a one-and-one. What is the proper way to correct this?

Rev.Ref63:

You have not given us enough information to give a ruling. What happened between the time that Team A was erroneously (boy I hope I spelled that correctly) a throw-in for B1's common foul and the next time Team A gained control of the ball?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Sounds like this was in the proper time frame for a correctable error to be enforced. Shoot the one and one with the lane clear, then the and one with the lane full and continue on from there. All action between the error and the made shot stands. The horn should be ignored.
Yep, I like Ed's answer.

But MTD makes a good point, you didn't tell us what happened during the interval from that foul to A's next possession and that foul. The error may not still be correctable.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
MTD is right about the info. As long as there wasn't a made basket or a whistle or stoppage prior to the foul we are ok. If someone scored or time stopped we would have to correct before that ball became live again.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 04:26am
Never Stop Learning

I took it for granted that A's next possession was on the throw in after the common foul. Might have been mistaken. Both are correct in asking for more information.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
What happened between the time that Team A was erroneously a throw-in for B1's common foul and the next time Team A gained control of the ball?
The throw-in occurred immediately following the foul. The foul was reported and the throw-in administered to A. The horn sounded just before A1 was fouled during a successful try.

B's coach argued that his players stopped play due to the horn. That is not the case, in my opinion.

Last edited by Rev.Ref63; Sat Dec 01, 2007 at 09:45am.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
B's coach argued that his players stopped play due to the horn. That is not the case, in my opinion.
Even if it is the case, it's his players' own stupid fault. Any coach worth his salt tells his players, "Play to the whistle!"

The only time the horn stops play is at the end of a period, and even then, there are exceptions.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Team A is fouled.
That must have been some foul! Five guys getting fouled at the same time! Or did it also include the players on the bench!!! I would have liked to have seen that!

I hope I never get the guy who committed that one in one of my games. He must be incredibly quick....and BIG!

OK - meds time.