Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Okay, you got me. If a punch is thrown, it's pretty much an automatic flagrant. We're talking about unsporting Ts here, though.not automatic.
Okay, let look at a few that are "automatic":

10-4-1
a,b, c, d, e, f, g, h. (G is fighting)

10-4-3

These are just a few that are "automatic".....
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't know about other states, but Colorado has explicitly followed the NFHS guideline, and isntructed the officials to call all profanity, even if directed at players. So yes, coaches do need to watch what they say to their players.

That said, at most, "dammit" might earn a quick chat depending on how loud it was uttered.

Do I think we have
Yeah, they missed that one. First of all, sounds like I would have let it go. However, if you'd been making a scene all game….

Also, there's a casebook play that states explicitly that the official should hold his whistle on this until after the layup; don't penalize the other team.

While we may or may not agree with you, the NFHS and at least my state don't. I may think I have better things to do than nag the players about tucking their shirts in, too, but the rules committee tells me otherwise.
I've never believed in "making a scene" or excessively carrying on with an official during a game. The bottom line is it generally just makes a coach look bad and puts the kids on the team at a disadvantage when they start getting penalized for the coach's poor behavior. That being said, I think that what we'd probably all agree upon in these areas is that consistency within an area would be best.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
We have to remember that coaching at a certain level is a job and a livelihood for most coaches. We shouldn't be telling them how to coach and motivate, just as much as they shouldn't be telling us how to referee. JMO.
You also have to remember that coaches are expected to display certain levels of restraint and sporting behavior. Different officials may interpret these levels differently(surprise). Iow, the coach is taking his chances if he wants to engage in any sideline histrionics.

So, basically we sureasheck are telling a coach how to coach. We are telling coaches that they must coach following the NFHS guidelines and rules for sideline deportment. Different officials may interpret these guidelines and rules differently. As long as each official is consistent in his interpretation and enforcement, the coaches and players will adjust. At least, if they're smart, they will.

And as for coaches telling us how to officiate, once again they can try.... and some of them sureasheck do try....but they're taking their chances if they do so.