The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throwing Clipboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39942-throwing-clipboard.html)

loners4me Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:18pm

Throwing Clipboard

Do you automatically give a T for a coach throwing clipboard to the ground? Or is it case by case like if he's trying to show you up.

Does your opinion change if coach did it because he's mad at his players and not directed at you?

Coaches around here like to toss em'.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me
Do you automatically

no. no. no.

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:22pm

No and no.

Peace

IREFU2 Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:23pm

Hmmm, no body thinks that is unsportsmanlike conduct???

truerookie Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2

I do!!!

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:25pm

Quote:

That is not what anyone said. ;)

Peace

Adam Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:27pm

Quote:

When asked if any call is automatic, Rut's automatic answer is "no."

I agree with him, while I'm more likely to call it than not if I see it, I don't want to box myself in by saying it's automatic.

IREFU2 Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:30pm

I would like to see the reasons behind the no's.:D

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
When asked if any call is automatic, Rut's automatic answer is "no."

I agree with him, while I'm more likely to call it than not if I see it, I don't want to box myself in by saying it's automatic.

You got it.

Peace

Adam Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:31pm

Quote:

I would like to see the reasons behind the no's.:D

Because there is no behavior or action that will "always" be a T.

IREFU2 Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:33pm

Hmmm, interesting.....you might need to think that statement over...

Adam Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:38pm

Quote:

Let me clarify. More general things, like "throwing a clipboard" require at least some judgment.

If you want to get specific, I'm sure you could come up with some that I would agree would be an automatic T. As in, "The coach throws a clipboard onto the court while screaming obscenities about the officials and their respective parents." I might be willing to call that automatic.

But they would be so specific as to be useless for the term "automatic."

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:38pm

Quote:

No, maybe you need to think about that. Officiating involves a lot of grey and just because a clipboard hits the floor might not be because he/she slammed the board onto the floor. And I could use about a 100 other examples of how this or other things I would not consider to be "automatic" from my point of view. Now if you want to say "automatic" that is your right. But when you find a situation that goes against what you believe, let me know because there are a lot of things that may happen to you that will change your mind. For me I would be more concerned as to why a coach is slamming the clipboard, not just the fact the clipboard was slammed to the floor.

Peace

IREFU2 Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
No, maybe you need to think about that. Officiating involves a lot of grey and just because a clipboard hits the floor might not be because he/she slammed the board onto the floor. And I could use about a 100 other examples of how this or other things I would not consider to be "automatic" from my point of view. Now if you want to say "automatic" that is your right. But when you find a situation that goes against what you believe, let me know because there are a lot of things that may happen to you that will change your mind. For me I would be more concerned as to why a coach is slamming the clipboard, not just the fact the clipboard was slammed to the floor.

Peace

Yeah, I guess you are right about that and circumstances would only warrant a "T" if in the officials judgement it was an act of unsportslike conduct. But the statement "Because there is no behavior or action that will "always" be a T" would be an incorrect statement in my book and the rule book.

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:53pm

Quote:

Yeah, I guess you are right about that and circumstances would only warrant a "T" if in the officials judgement it was an act of unsportslike conduct. But the statement "Because there is no behavior or action that will "always" be a T" would be an incorrect statement in my book and the rule book.

You are missing the point. Automatic means you do something without thought or judgment. Are there situations that would likely be a T? Of course there would be. But even things in the rulebook require some judgment and interpretation. I am just going to reserve some judgment and make sure I just observed what I actually observed and interpret why the action took place. Then I will make a decision. And the last time I read the rulebook, there are not many absolutes as to what is or is not a T. The rules tend to be left vague to allow for judgment to take over. For example, the rulebook says profanity is illegal. It does not specify which words are in that category.

Peace