The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Conflict of Interest?

When do you turn down games due to a conflict of interest?

A. When coach is a friend?
B. The High School you attended?
C. Your kids games?
D. Your brother is the coach?
E. Your bosses kids playing?
F. Girlfriends kids playing?

Im sure some we've all ran into some of these scenarios

Personally I don't like to officiate a certain catholic high school team where the priest is the coach. Not only do I listen to him every Sunday, he hears my confessions, problems, ect..and gives me these looks when he doesn't like the call. Almost like death rays......and I feel them more from him than anybody else

Last edited by loners4me; Wed Nov 28, 2007 at 02:52pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
When do you turn down games due to a conflict of interest?

A. When coach is a friend?
B. The High School you attended?
C. Your kids games?
D. Your brother is the coach?
E. Your bosses kids playing?
F. Girlfriends kids playing?

Im sure some we've all ran into some of these scenarios
A. No
B. No--during regular season.
C. Do not have to worry about that.
D. Do not have to worry about that.
E. This would not change my mind, I would work the game.
F. Do not have to worry about that.

The only one I think is easy is if you have a relative that works or attends a school; you should not work the game. The other situations are only based on other factors. For example, I have not attended my HS in almost 20 years, and I do not live in the area anymore. I do not feel uneasy at all working my HS and I do not actively cheer or support that program.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:58pm
PYRef

When you need to question whether there's a conflict or not...there probably is. In your own mind at least.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

All of my family friends co workers and otherwise know me well enough to know that they have absolutely NO advantage with me as a ref. In fact it might work against them cause I would expect more of them.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
When you need to question whether there's a conflict or not...there probably is. In your own mind at least.
I disagree with that statement. Many conflicts are not real and created or assumed by other people. If we did not work with everyone we had a relationship, you would have to quit working games after a few years.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:26pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Many conflicts are not real and created or assumed by other people. If we did not work with everyone we had a relationship, you would have to quit working games after a few years.

My point is that if you need to question yourself if it is a conflict or not, you might have one. My answer to most of those on the list would be No, I wouldn't have a conflict.
I agree with your statement about relationships. But if someone questions themselves whether they will be impartial or not, or if it might create personal issues with someone, then they might be better off not doing it.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My point is that if you need to question yourself if it is a conflict or not, you might have one.
The operative word is "might." For example if I had a relative that was attending a school in a 4 school district, I would not think I would have an issue working at a school they attend or work directly for.

Quote:
I agree with your statement about relationships. But if someone questions themselves whether they will be impartial or not, or if it might create personal issues with someone, then they might be better off not doing it.
If someone has to constantly question themselves about impartiality, then that is a bigger issue. I would only not work someone that I have a very personal relationship with someone or that school or organization. Even though I went to my HS, that does not mean I still have strong ties to that school. If anything, I have closer ties to other schools because I know more people. A better example is I live in a town that has 3 HS. I could work any of them and I would not have a problem, but someone not knowing me might try to assume there would be a problem. I am out there to call games, not to pick a team.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

In theory I would be very hesitant to work a game with my boss's kids. Not because I couldn't do it fairly, but I would be concerned with repercussions in the workplace.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

It's not only whether *you* can work impartially, it's whether others might have a reason to question it.

So, items C-F in the original list are likely to create a conflict. In B, it depends on how long ago you graduated. In A, it depends on the definition of "friend."

In all of them, it depends on the level of the game.

One you didn't ask:

Suppose you were a female D-1 official on the west coast, and your "partner" was a female assistant at a D-1 school. Would it be a conflict to officiate that team's games? (Purely hypothetical, I'm sure)
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

These are personal preferences, even when they don't necessarily apply to me:

A. Nope. Have done that on many occasions.
B. Subvarsity - no; Varsity - yes;
C. YES (no brainer for anyone);
D. Yes, but this may be more fact intensive;
E. Probably if it were me, especially at Varsity level, but this is individual;
F. Yes, since my wife would have a big problem with this on several levels;

Seriously, C and F is a definite YES, D is most likely a Yes. On the rest, just be careful.

I agree with Rut that just because the question is raised doesn't mean its an automatic answer -- ethics wise, but I do think that when the question is HONESTLY raised, you need to think real hard about whether you want to be in that position. I don't have a problem doing my attended HS's games at the subvarsity level, but wouldn't do it at the varsity level since I don't want to put myself in that position.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to preface this by saying that it applies to school level games and above. Rec league is specifically not included.

For me C & D are absolutes - no way, no how.

All of the rest are case-by-case decisions.

One of the other things that should be considered is not a defacto conflict, but the possible appearance of a conflict. If you have to make a tough call, several tough calls, or a call near the end of a close game that go in favor of a coach or team with a potential percieved conflict, there is a possibility that your relationship would be brought up and your integrity questioned. Just one more thing to consider as part of accepting an assignment.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
In theory I would be very hesitant to work a game with my boss's kids. Not because I couldn't do it fairly, but I would be concerned with repercussions in the workplace.
I did this last year. No worries. First, it was a ms game. 2nd, he thought it was when he showed up. I had another co-worker's daughter's game twice last year (again, ms).

My current boss doesn't have kids in school, though, so it's no longer a worry for me.

I'm with Rut, though, on the rest of them; even though the state of CO apparently disagrees with me. My first varsity game back in Iowa was for my old high school, 12 years after I graduated in a gym that didn't exist when I played, with coaches I didn't know and players whose names meant nothing to me.

That said, CHSAA has "insinuated" that they would rather officials not officiate games for schools they attended in the past. conflicts of interest are to be reported for consideration in the post season assignments as well; such as my wife teaches there, or my sister coaches there, etc.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I agree with Rut that just because the question is raised doesn't mean its an automatic answer -- ethics wise, but I do think that when the question is HONESTLY raised, you need to think real hard about whether you want to be in that position. I don't have a problem doing my attended HS's games at the subvarsity level, but wouldn't do it at the varsity level since I don't want to put myself in that position.
I have officiated my HS 5 times and will be working a game with this year for the 6th time. All games were at the varsity level. I might have done a lower level game several years ago, but I honestly cannot remember. In about 3 of those cases I know the visiting team knew I lived and went to this particular HS. I do not think my former HS has won one time. Not because of the officiating, but because they did not play very well. Even one time the coach said something in the media about the way the game was called.

The bottom line is I go out there and do my job. If people want to find a conflict, they will. In my area sometimes people try to make connections to where you live and a region rather than any real conflict (Chicago Area official, Suburban Official, Downstate Official). The bottom line is if you are always worried about a conflict, you will not ever be able to work. You see officials all the time on TV work games with one of the teams in a conference they have worked. That does not automatically mean you are bias or even going to have a bias on some level.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Again, I agree with Rut.
This is similar to those who questioned Rick Harzell's (athletic director at Northern Iowa and D-1 official) ability to officiate games that might possibly maybe potentially have a marginal impact on his program if lots of chips fell in the right place.

If you look hard enough....
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 05:46pm
We don't rent pigs

Even if you go to a place you have never been to call a game and don't know a soul, by the time one quarter is over, some small prejudice, real or imagined, will be created either in your mind or someone else's. One team is outmanned and you feel sorry for them. One team or coach has attitude which you find unpleasant. The fans may not like you, for whatever reason. The first three calls go against their team, it could be a racial thing, whatever. When the fans start chanting, "Find a tall tree, and hang the referee," it can be disconcerting.
There will be something to overcome, large or small, in this job. Take the game, wherever it is, and do your best to call it straight down the line.

Lonesome Dove