The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Was reading my rule book tonight....

for the first time in a while. I don't know them like I used to and its been bugging me.

Was reading where coaches can not use video-tape of the current game at half-time for coaching purposes, but I did not see any specific penalty.

Coaches are pulling out the stops these days to win. So what do you do if a coach uses video during half-time?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

If you can verify this, then the proper penalty is a team technical foul. Nothing gets charged either directly or indirectly to the head coach.

The reference is 10-1-3 and the chart on page 72.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I think it also merits a report to the state association.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I think it also merits a report to the state association.
Why? Do you file a report to the state association for all team technical fouls? If the scorebook were incorrect and there had to be a T assessed would you think that should be reported to the state too?

It's just another rule that has been infringed and the proper penalty given. Nothing more needs to be made out of it.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Why? Do you file a report to the state association for all team technical fouls? If the scorebook were incorrect and there had to be a T assessed would you think that should be reported to the state too?

It's just another rule that has been infringed and the proper penalty given. Nothing more needs to be made out of it.
Here, it does merit a report to the association; because all technical fouls at the high school level have to be reported to the state.

I know other states (Iowa, for example) that only require notification when there's an disqualification (ejection) by multiple technical fouls or flagrant involved.

Also, at the JV level, they want us to send a report if there is a jv home team not wearing white. They don't want the Ts called below varsity level, but they want to know about it.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Here, it does merit a report to the association; because all technical fouls at the high school level have to be reported to the state.

I know other states (Iowa, for example) that only require notification when there's an disqualification (ejection) by multiple technical fouls or flagrant involved.

Also, at the JV level, they want us to send a report if there is a jv home team not wearing white. They don't want the Ts called below varsity level, but they want to know about it.
Perfectly understandable if ALL technical fouls require a report. My state only does DQs.

My point was that I don't agree with reporting some Ts and not others just because the T is for an unusual reason and the official doesn't encounter it that often. Treat them all the same.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not sure I agree on this one, as it's a clear example of attempting to cheat rather than just an example of poor sportsmanship. It's not even just "bending the rules," IMO. It's more akin to the Patriots' little gaffe this season.

I'd also consider reporting to the state if I had other examples of cheating. I think this might fit a different category from most technical fouls.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Aren't all rule infractions that get caught and penalized by definition an attempt to cheat?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Nov 27, 2007 at 07:26pm.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Are all rule infractions that get caught and penalized by definition an attempt to cheat?
Not true. Some rule infractions, even the intentional ones such as kicking, aren't cheating because there is a full expectation to get caught and suffer the appropriate penalty. That's not cheating.

Breaking this rule is different. IMO, of course.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

How about removing the scorebook from the table at halftime?

How about a coach sending a team member with five fouls to the table to sub in, but the scorer catches it and prevents the kid from entering?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How about removing the scorebook from the table at halftime?

How about a coach sending a team member with five fouls to the table to sub in, but the scorer catches it and prevents the kid from entering?
The first one is much more likely to be a misunderstanding. They don't know they can't do that.

Your second option, isn't that a flagrant T on the coach? If not, I would include that in the cheating category worthy of a report to the appropriate governing body.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Your second option, isn't that a flagrant T on the coach? If not, I would include that in the cheating category worthy of a report to the appropriate governing body.
Not flagrant anymore. Used to be a flagrant PLAYER technical foul, but the rule was changed in 2003-04 to simply a direct technical foul on the head coach.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Since you are trying to place the offenses in categories, how about this one:
10-3-3 ... Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being OOB.

What's more clearly an attempt to cheat than a purposeful and deceitful act?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perfectly understandable if ALL technical fouls require a report. My state only does DQs.

My point was that I don't agree with reporting some Ts and not others just because the T is for an unusual reason and the official doesn't encounter it that often. Treat them all the same.
I disagree with this as well. Not all T's are created equal. If the infraction involves blatant cheating, the state should know about it. If they chose not to take any action, that's their prerogative. In this case a coach may be only too happy to trade a team technical for the opportunity to break down the opponents defense for his team on video at halftime. The coach is gaming the system, and gaining an advantage that a single team T cannot begin to nullify. The official is not empowered to do anything more to remedy the situation. The state can, if they choose. But only if they know.

In general, the more unusual an incident or situation is, the more likely that the state should be informed about it.

And no, I'm not suggesting that we should be filing a report after every game.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, BITS, but the point that I'm making is that the NFHS has already made the determination for us on what is "blatant cheating" and what is not. For those acts that are the NFHS has provided a penalty of a flagrant foul. However, for those acts which the NFHS does not consider to rise to this level, just a normal technical foul is required.

You are putting your own personal feelings into this instead of just administering the rules as written as the NFHS instructs us to do.