The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

First Game

So I got my first basketball game on Tuesday....
I've kind of read through the rules.... I think I have a good grasp on them but not 100 % but I'll fake it till I make it!

Anyway first game any thoughts what would you do if you had it to do all over again... any advice?
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee
So I got my first basketball game on Tuesday....
I've kind of read through the rules.... I think I have a good grasp on them but not 100 %
Ok, I don't mean to be insulting, but if you "kind of" read through the rules, then you don't have a good grasp on them. You need to put a lot more study into it. Did you take an officiating class? Do you have a friend who is an official who you can talk to about situations that confuse you?

Quote:
but I'll fake it till I make it!
Yeesh. Again, no offense, but this is not a good way to go into a game.

Quote:
any thoughts what would you do if you had it to do all over again... any advice?
It sounds to me like you are not at all prepared for what you're about to do. So my advice is to just try to get the obvious stuff -- out of bounds and obvious fouls against the ball handler (dribbler/shooter). Eventually, you will really need some training if you're going to continue. You'll need to know how to signal fouls and violations, and how to position yourself properly.

What level game will you be working? Try to get whatever help you can get from your partner.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 01:46am
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Ok, I don't mean to be insulting, but if you "kind of" read through the rules, then you don't have a good grasp on them. You need to put a lot more study into it. Did you take an officiating class? Do you have a friend who is an official who you can talk to about situations that confuse you?

Yeesh. Again, no offense, but this is not a good way to go into a game.

It sounds to me like you are not at all prepared for what you're about to do. So my advice is to just try to get the obvious stuff -- out of bounds and obvious fouls against the ball handler (dribbler/shooter). Eventually, you will really need some training if you're going to continue. You'll need to know how to signal fouls and violations, and how to position yourself properly.

What level game will you be working? Try to get whatever help you can get from your partner.
He's ready for the NBA - no traveling, shadow fouls, all he needs to do is bet on the game!

You are right. He needs to heed your advice. Hopefully this is only a 4th grade rec game. Would love to be there when he "fakes it" and the coach comes unglued. Wonder what he'll tell the coach?

I think everyone should give him a "A" for his enthusiasm and not be too harsh, but be instructive.

1. Blow the whistle loud and raise the hand / fist high. STOP.
2. Point to the spot where the ball will come out
3. Report the foul to the table
4. Switch on every foul (2-man) and bump and run on violations
5. Smile and have fun.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm... iirc, your first posts on the baseball forum were of a "trolling" nature. I hope this isn't more of the same.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure your mechanics are "TOP NOTCH" and your whistle is LOUD so that you can at least be a good faker.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation
Make sure your mechanics are "TOP NOTCH" and your whistle is LOUD so that you can at least be a good faker.
There is no such thing as a "good faker". Players, coaches and your fellow officials all know when someone doesn't know what they're doing.