The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Halted game vs. game over

Here's the sitch with NFHS rules.....top half of 6th inning (of 7) played and stopped due to darkness. Home team was ahead but now visitors are by one. The AD says that all games (tourney) are pushed back to Wed. and this game will have to be finished today.

He said reason is because the umpire never called the game and therefore it has to be finished instead of going by the score at the end of the last full inning (5th).

Any thoughts??

Thanks!!
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

If the umpire never called the game, why'd they stop?
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots101
Here's the sitch with NFHS rules.....top half of 6th inning (of 7) played and stopped due to darkness. Home team was ahead but now visitors are by one. The AD says that all games (tourney) are pushed back to Wed. and this game will have to be finished today.

He said reason is because the umpire never called the game and therefore it has to be finished instead of going by the score at the end of the last full inning (5th).

Any thoughts??

Thanks!!
The umpire doesn't have that authority. S/he can only stop the game. It the admin and the rules which direct them which would determine whether the game is complete or not.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

First of all it was stopped because of darkness.

Second, I know it is the rules that determine what happens that and THAT is why I am posting this situation. I'm not sure why the AD said that we have to continue because the umpire never called the game. Of course, he had to do something in order for everyone to leave.

According to their rules, 3 full innings is considered a regulation game. They played 5 1/2. At that point (because of darkness) doesn't the score revert back to the last full inning , which was the end of the 5th??
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. You revert to the last completed inning in that situation.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Let me suggest that Fed rule 4, Section 2, Article 2b prvides the answer. The score reverts to the last complete inning - if that is the 5th inning or later, you have a complete game -----regardless of whether an umpire called the game.

I don't klnow what your state is, let alone what special provisions the y might have added. The PIAA in Pennsylvania has made a number of modifications to Fed rules over the years.

Now, if this is the sole justification - "He said reason is because the umpire never called the game and therefore it has to be finished instead of going by the score at the end of the last full inning (5th)." Then your AD is wrong. That is a complete game, with the score what it was at the end of inning 5.