The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Assignments

I am in my 8th year. Hard to believe. Last year was my best year for assignments. I had a 60% varsity schedule.

This year so far, 30%. I am left wondering what happened.

I am to the point now that is January is like this I am considering quitting. I always score in the 90's on my tests, rarely ever turn in assignments.

You can't ask why. You won't get an answer. I am just frustrated.

Any advice?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I am in my 8th year. Hard to believe. Last year was my best year for assignments. I had a 60% varsity schedule.

I am to the point now that is January is like this I am considering quitting. I always score in the 90's on my tests, rarely ever turn in assignments.

Any advice?
1. Ask why
2. Find another assigner
3. Find a third assigner
4. Focus less on your test scores and more on your game (maybe that should be #1?)

Good luck...btw even the JV players need dedicated refs.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

There could be a number of reasons why. What did you do over the offseason to get better? Did other guys who worked JV/V mix go to camps and improve while you didn't? This could very well be a case of you slipping through the cracks, try to find a mentor or at least someone "in the know" who you can talk to and who can help promote you and keep working hard, that's all you can really control.

BTW: how long does it usually take to get a V schedule in your area?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I was in your spot three years ago. I found out two hard truths: because I was always available for the early games -- the freshmen/JV double-headers that start at 3:30, I was assigned those games. It made absolutely no difference to my assignor how good I was or how many camps I went to. He needed reliable officials for the early games and I was that. I also never complained. I just took the assignments -- and I got a lot of them.

That was the other hard truth. My assignor believed he was doing me a favor. He gave me a lot of games -- and thus a lot of money. I wanted varsity games and he did not want to assign me varsity...because he had lots of varsity officials, but not enough sub-varsity officials. And I made a tactical error in working for only one guy. He assigned for a lot of leagues -- when he retired last year, those leagues hired four different assignors to do what he did alone.

We had a falling out three years ago because I pushed hard for varsity assignments. It was the best thing that happened to me. I did exactly what Dan suggested: I found another assignor. And another And a third. And I was able to cobble together a good scheule -- with about 60 percent varsity games. Last year...it was all varsity, with a couple of "off-date" last-minute sub-varsity games for a new assignor...who this year is giving me a couple of varsity games. This year, I have only varsity games.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan

Any advice?
This topic came up at a college camp this summer. I forget the specifics, but the speaker noted that she had a "good year" and got fewer tourney assignments and a reduced schedule the following year; and had "not so good year" and receeived more tourney assignments and a better schedule.

The answer: Worry about what you can control (being the best official you can be) and don't worry about what you can't control (the specific assignments).
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

The answer: Worry about what you can control (being the best official you can be) and don't worry about what you can't control (the specific assignments).
That's about all you can do. Take care of business and good things will come. Sometimes you have to be patient.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:21am
Huck Finn

First of all, where do you live in Maryland? If it is around the DC area with one of the two main assigners, I might be able to find out more for you. I might be able to ask someone in the Cumberland area too if that is where you live.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

If you're to the point that you're going to quit, then what the hell? Go to him and ask him. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:45am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I found myself in a tough position geographically a couple of years ago and was working mostly for one assignor. Ended up doing a lot of games with uncertified officials and it really was difficult to show the varsity officials how I could call a game. Last year, I made a conscious decision to cobble together my own schedule through ADs who assign and I went out of my area to get some games that would partner me with better officials. I traveled a lot more last season, but this year I have 28 varsity assignments. I may get a couple more from the 'other' assignor who does V for 2 schools. But I most likely will do a few frosh games to make sure I am not rusty. I only do 35 games per season. Sometimes, you take a step back to take two steps forward.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
2. Find another assigner
3. Find a third assigner
If you are in an area with multiple assigners you are fortunate. In TN the State sanctions the associations and the Assignors. They are geographic regions, I live in the "center" of one of the Assignor service areas. Should I ever run "afoul" of the assignor I would have to drive over an hour to get to the nearest boundary between the assigning areas.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:57am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Most of my games were more than an hour away.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

It may not be the case for you, but at the end of last season I rewrote my definitions of "advancing" and "better schedule". I worked a lot of games last season but only about 40-45% varsity. I made the decision to cut back on the number of select league games I worked and attend more camps. I did this for two reasons...(1) I realized I was getting tired and dreaded game days (not a good sign) and (2) by going to camps I would improve faster than simply by working games. I found my performance at the camps was better because I was fresher. At the last camp of the summer (which is put on by my chapter), the assigment secretary came up to me and asked "Is this really your 5th camp of the summer?". He also mentioned he had heard good reports.

Now that the season is starting I am getting fewer games (only 12 so far but only November has been assigned) but 10 of them are varsity. Last year I was the R a lot in varsity two person crews...this year I am getting a lot of assignments at U2. Additionally, my varsity games last year were small schools...this year (so far) they are 4A and 5A. Granted, not the top match-ups but more visible games with more of the top officials in the chapter...so I am becoming better known to them.

When schedules are discussed and I mention only 12 games people will say things like "Maybe your schedule will get better as the season rolls on." I just smile and say to myself...it already is better.

All that to ask...Are the varsity games you are getting "better" games? It may be a case of assignors putting you in better games and waiting for feedback before giving you more varsity games.

Just a thought.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Do you feel like you improved last year? Did you go to a camp(s) over the summer? In our association, we have a lot of guys who work their butts off to get better every year. Those who remain the same (or are perceived that way) get passed up. Not saying it happened to you, but it's possible.

Talk to you assignor. What can it hurt?
Get better between now and next season.
If you can't control it, let it go. Ref because you love the game.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you can work for multiple people or an organization that is something you should do. I always think officials should diversify their assignors like an investor would diversify their stocks if that is possible.

All you can do is ask the assignor about your schedule if it really bothers you. Also I do not know if you should focus so much on the percentage of varsity rather than the actual number (which might have been reduced). It is possible that the percentage of lower level games might have raised so that you can work with less experienced officials and mentor them on some level.

One other thing, maybe you need to revaluate your goals. As time goes on your goals should change a little. And are other officials in your area that have accomplished similar things working a similar schedule. If that is not the case then you might need to look within.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 12:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
It may not be the case for you, but at the end of last season I rewrote my definitions of "advancing" and "better schedule". I worked a lot of games last season but only about 40-45% varsity. I made the decision to cut back on the number of select league games I worked and attend more camps. I did this for two reasons...(1) I realized I was getting tired and dreaded game days (not a good sign) and (2) by going to camps I would improve faster than simply by working games. I found my performance at the camps was better because I was fresher. At the last camp of the summer (which is put on by my chapter), the assigment secretary came up to me and asked "Is this really your 5th camp of the summer?". He also mentioned he had heard good reports.

Now that the season is starting I am getting fewer games (only 12 so far but only November has been assigned) but 10 of them are varsity. Last year I was the R a lot in varsity two person crews...this year I am getting a lot of assignments at U2. Additionally, my varsity games last year were small schools...this year (so far) they are 4A and 5A. Granted, not the top match-ups but more visible games with more of the top officials in the chapter...so I am becoming better known to them.

When schedules are discussed and I mention only 12 games people will say things like "Maybe your schedule will get better as the season rolls on." I just smile and say to myself...it already is better.

All that to ask...Are the varsity games you are getting "better" games? It may be a case of assignors putting you in better games and waiting for feedback before giving you more varsity games.

Just a thought.
I made a conscious decision to work nothing but varsity games three years ago. I won't even fill in at the subvarsity level anymore. Like it or not, there are some who will think of you as a "subvarsity official." Also, with my work travel and with a 3-year-old, I make choices to keep my schedule at a reasonable level.

More here: http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...25&postcount=7

I feel sorry that you are stuck with one assignor.

It really is better (you have to experience it to understand it) when you have 10 assignors each assigning a league and then the schools assigning the nonconference games themselves. I work hard at filling my schedule, but I'm in control of it. There are good officials in my area who won't network like this and lament they don't get 10 varsity games in a season because of it. It's their own fault -- I am just starting my sixth season in Wisconsin and I've never worked fewer than 20 varsity dates and have cut back to 35 this season. And at the end of the day, on average, you still have to be a good official or schools won't bring you back.