The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

We have a new assignor up in my neck of the woods who is a great guy and very fair. I actually have a crummy schedule in his conference which has nothing to do with him. More on transition of new assignor and projected job obligations on my end. He has filled me in on a handful of Varsity games already and I've offered, if he needs me, to take lower level games, which I'm glad to do for him, last minute. Anytime I'm open, I'll help.

It does get frustrating from time to time, had an assignor in a small girls conference with mediocre at best ball tell me I needed at least 5-6 years before he will consider me at varsity level. I had already done a TV game at this point.

I use my Dad's philosophy he used to lay on me as a kid, "You are no better than anyone else, but you're just as good". There are plenty of officials around here that I really admire and have a long way to go to being considered an equal, but sometimes I'm at a big game somewhere as a spectator thinking I'm 'just as good.'
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 04:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Our board started a new committee last year. It was the Retention Committee, which was charged with finding out why people were leaving the board and to put in place a plan to help officials. I volunteered for that committee and I am sure that helped in elevating to varsity this year. I was the only committee member present at the spring meeting and the president of the board asked me to give an update on our work. A mentoring program is being launched as a result.

Lesson learned? It can pay to volunteer to help the board by becoming part of a committee. You become better known. There is a sales axiom that applies here: It is not who you know, it is who knows you.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

We have one association here. They assign the games. the executive board.

I am a good official. I have gotten better every year. No I don't go to camps, I am too busy running my business to go. We may have 1 or 2 guys who go to a camp. We have about 40 officials and we work about a 60 mile area.

My point is that I have 7 years worth of officials behind me. I have paid my dues to get a better schedule. I rarely ever have a complaint from a coach and have had them compliment me even when they lose.

My best asset is that I understand the rules and use them correctly in the games. I am tall and loud enough to be heard without a problem. I am athletic and can keep up with the game. I don't do much boys varsity, maybe 4 games last year. Mostly girls varsity and I don't have a problem with that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am 52 and not looking to go to the next level ( college ) though I have been asked a few times.

I did have a college evaluator rate me last year and he gave me some good pointers and asked me to come to his camp, but that seems like a younger mans game to me. I want to do this about another 6 or 7 years, if my body holds up.

If you got a 30% varsity schedule, how would you feel?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I will come right out and say that age does play a part. I am 50. I took 26 years off. If I had started back at age 36 instead of 46, I would not have as many hurdles. But, I hold no delusions about how far I will go. I know that a lot of guys 5-7 years older than me will hang up the whistle. I work hard and would beat a lot of officials 20 years younger than me in end to end sprints. I look forward to a better schedule this year than last. But I look at maybe 5 years before things start going in the other direction as some younger officials come along. And that is fine with me. I enjoy what I am doing. I do not expect to be doing any state semis before I hang up the whistle. I guess you could have a heart to heart with your assignor, but you might not be any happier afterwards.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
We have one association here. They assign the games. the executive board.

I am a good official. I have gotten better every year. No I don't go to camps, I am too busy running my business to go. We may have 1 or 2 guys who go to a camp. We have about 40 officials and we work about a 60 mile area.
If you are too busy to go to camp, then you cannot complain when you get overlooked. Sometimes going to camp is no more than keeping your name at the front of the list. You would not run a business without references or advertising would you?

Quote:
My point is that I have 7 years worth of officials behind me. I have paid my dues to get a better schedule. I rarely ever have a complaint from a coach and have had them compliment me even when they lose.
How do you really know that no one complains about you? Seriously, how would you really know that? Many complaints are not going to be directed at you personally. And how long you have been working does not guarantee you anything either. There are people around here that have much more experience that you do and they cannot get a break. Part of the reason is they do nothing to stand out or they are just not as good in the eyes of the people that matter. At the very you are getting varsity. Is your schedule so much worse than people that are working with similar experience?

Quote:
My best asset is that I understand the rules and use them correctly in the games. I am tall and loud enough to be heard without a problem. I am athletic and can keep up with the game. I don't do much boys varsity, maybe 4 games last year. Mostly girls varsity and I don't have a problem with that.

If you got a 30% varsity schedule, how would you feel?
To the last question, I would feel blessed. Anytime you get varsity you need to be happy. Now you are talking about percentiles and that is not they way I look at it. I only get a lower level schedule after I get my varsity games. Usually my lower level games are about convenience rather than something I must do. So I do not work a system where I have to work anything I do not want to do. That being said, you need to compare your schedule to those around you and look at their experience and what they have or have not done.

Understand I have never seen you work, I have no idea the system you work under and I have no idea who you have to compare things do. I have been around long enough and I work with a lot of young officials that are in the same boat. Be careful about moving up too fast because it is not always what you think it is. If you have 100% of varsity games, that is more time to screw up or for someone to think you do not belong. Be patient and you might need to attend more camps to convince the powers that be you belong. After all camps are not always about learning, sometimes they are there to prove you are better than your peers.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have a zero percentile for varsity games. It's my second year as a certified official, so I don't expect varsity games. Unsure if I'd even accept one at this point. I'd fill in if needed, but I know I need to get better. I have worked some varsity scrimmages (much cleaner play than working frosh level, where you see everything, almost easier in a way).

Truthfully, I'm torn...not much, but just a little. The competitive side of me wants to work varsity as soon as possible, I guess it's an ego thing, but another side of me, a bigger side, is just fine working less than varsity. Although I stick around and watch varsity officials somtimes, when I don't I'm home with my better half and kids by 7 or so.

I think it's important to step back every once in awhile and think about why we're putting on the stripes. I've always been active in sports, either playing or coaching my kids. It may be cliche, but I want to still be around it and I want to give back. Plus, I live in the land of cheese...what the heck else am I going to do during the long, cold winter?

Last edited by dan74; Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 11:50pm.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Terrapins Fan,
Are all of your games assigned or do you contract independenlty with some schools? We contract independently around here. Last year, being new to the area, I agreed to a lot of lower level (7/8 - JV) games for this year early last season. That's dropped the number of V games I'll do this year, but that just means I'll tell the ADs that I'm available for V games and sign up for some of them first. The fact that I'm doing almost exclusively JV games this season doesn't mean I'm less of an official. It's just the way the schedule worked out this year. I also know that when I do a good job as a JV ref they're going to give me V games when openings come up this year and for next season. I'd try not to take it too personally.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 08:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
I have a zero percentile for varsity games. It's my second year as a certified official, so I don't expect varsity games. Unsure if I'd even accept one at this point. I'd fill in if needed, but I know I need to get better. I have worked some varsity scrimmages (much cleaner play than working frosh level, where you see everything, almost easier in a way).

Truthfully, I'm torn...not much, but just a little. The competitive side of me wants to work varsity as soon as possible, I guess it's an ego thing, but another side of me, a bigger side, is just fine working less than varsity. Although I stick around and watch varsity officials somtimes, when I don't I'm home with my better half and kids by 7 or so.

I think it's important to step back every once in awhile and think about why we're putting on the stripes. I've always been active in sports, either playing or coaching my kids. It may be cliche, but I want to still be around it and I want to give back. Plus, I live in the land of cheese...what the heck else am I going to do during the long, cold winter?
Around my area, there are what we call "career JV officials," especially in the rural areas. Here all subvarsity games are assigned by the home school, so frequently watching the JV officials can be quite painful, as George from the local garage is the guy who's been doing these JV games for 25 years. No mechanics, no real judgment, but I've noticed that George gets very little grief because he is a known quantity and people know him, even if he's wearing white sneakers and parachute pants.

So to work JV games in some of these schools can typecast you around here, although the closer you get to the "city," the more we have the traditional "wanting to move up and paying dues" official working the JV game.

My partner took a couple of JV games this season to fill in a quiet week. I look at a quiet week as a blessing and turned him down when he asked. No big deal either way. I actually emailed him this morning and told him I'd work if he hadn't found anyone.

It probably sounds to a lot of people I don't enjoy working anymore, when actually that couldn't be farther from the truth. But I enjoy working football more these days and baseball is the sport I work the most and best (and the only one I work at the college level), so I am only a "during the season" guy now. It means I don't go to a lot of camps anymore (I'd rather work a weekend of baseball), but it doesn't mean I don't love being out there.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Nov 17, 2007 at 08:28am.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Terrapins Fan,
Are all of your games assigned or do you contract independenlty with some schools? We contract independently around here.
Our executive board assigns the games. They assign themselves games and they assign the members the games.

I have no doubt that is part of the problem. it has been for 3 years now.

We used to have an assignor that wasn't allowed to work games.

Now the assignor ( the board ) works games and assigns the games.

We are a small board about 40 officials and we cover about 15 schools.

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Sat Nov 17, 2007 at 01:49pm.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our executive board assigns the games. The assign themselves games and they assign the members the games.

I have no doubt that is part of the problem. it has been for 3 years now.

We used to have an assignor that wasn't allowed to work games.

Now the assignor ( the board ) works games and assigns the games.

We are a small board about 40 officials and we cover about 15 schools.

Express your desire to move up. Accept any assignment that comes your way. Ask your assignor to evaluate you or work a game with you. Attend all of your meetings and attend camps. Most important keep your available dates up to date. If you show open be prepared to go anywhere he sends you and accept any assignment given to you.

Makes yourself the one he thinks of when a game opens up.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Around my area, there are what we call "career JV officials," especially in the rural areas. Here all subvarsity games are assigned by the home school, so frequently watching the JV officials can be quite painful, as George from the local garage is the guy who's been doing these JV games for 25 years. No mechanics, no real judgment, but I've noticed that George gets very little grief because he is a known quantity and people know him, even if he's wearing white sneakers and parachute pants.
I hear ya.

I know a career JV official who is pretty good, but he just prefers being home at night. I also know a couple carrer JV officials who I'm dreading working with this season, much like the official you described but without the acceptance.

By the way, parachute pants rock, of course this comes from a guy who used to have a mullett and handle bar mustache (bring back the mullet! who's first?).

Last edited by dan74; Sat Nov 17, 2007 at 08:02pm.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
I hear ya.

I know a career JV official who is pretty good, but he just prefers being home at night. I also know a couple carrer JV officials who I'm dreading working with this season, much like the official you described but without the acceptance.

By the way, parachute pants rock, of course this comes from a guy who used to have a mullett and handle bar mustache (bring back the mullet! who's first?).
Fuzzy dice hanging from your rear view mirror, too?
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
George drives me nuts. I don't know how many times I've said to my partner that if we made the same call in the varsity game that George just made now, the crowd would go nuts.

I've also seen the white sneakers and parachute pants but you forgot the yellow lanyard and the pea-whistle....
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Fuzzy dice hanging from your rear view mirror, too?
Nah, the dice got in the way of my strands of beads...man, brings back memories of cruising in my Chevette listing to Styx on the 8-track...great stuff. I also sported my share of bell bottom jeans.

Last edited by dan74; Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 11:34am.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
George drives me nuts. I don't know how many times I've said to my partner that if we made the same call in the varsity game that George just made now, the crowd would go nuts.

I've also seen the white sneakers and parachute pants but you forgot the yellow lanyard and the pea-whistle....
My favorite part is driving 90 miles, walking into the gym, and having all the local eyes follow you to your seat on the bleachers, all with the "you ain't from around here, boy" look to them.

Oh, I could've gone on. Byron collars (only on one of the two officials), pea whistles, black (faded to grey) cotton dockers with a woven brown belt, white socks, no hustle, letting coaches stand during JV games (forbidden here), letting coaches do whatever they want without repercussions and most often every little bump (or perceived bump) is called as a foul, usually with no fist, just a whistle and a point. Or an open hand for fouls and fists for violations, blah, blah, blah.

Frequently we see both teams in the double bonus in the third quarter, which is wonderful for game flow and for our (grrrrr) starting time. There are many times I'll turn to my partner (or he to me) and say, "I can't watch any more of this" and we'll go get dressed early.

And as for us "giving pointers" to these guys, they don't think there's anything wrong. They'll frequently sit in the stands for the varsity games and openly root for the home team and scream at us. It's a real culture shock for someone coming from somewhere else.