Thread: Assignments
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

It may not be the case for you, but at the end of last season I rewrote my definitions of "advancing" and "better schedule". I worked a lot of games last season but only about 40-45% varsity. I made the decision to cut back on the number of select league games I worked and attend more camps. I did this for two reasons...(1) I realized I was getting tired and dreaded game days (not a good sign) and (2) by going to camps I would improve faster than simply by working games. I found my performance at the camps was better because I was fresher. At the last camp of the summer (which is put on by my chapter), the assigment secretary came up to me and asked "Is this really your 5th camp of the summer?". He also mentioned he had heard good reports.

Now that the season is starting I am getting fewer games (only 12 so far but only November has been assigned) but 10 of them are varsity. Last year I was the R a lot in varsity two person crews...this year I am getting a lot of assignments at U2. Additionally, my varsity games last year were small schools...this year (so far) they are 4A and 5A. Granted, not the top match-ups but more visible games with more of the top officials in the chapter...so I am becoming better known to them.

When schedules are discussed and I mention only 12 games people will say things like "Maybe your schedule will get better as the season rolls on." I just smile and say to myself...it already is better.

All that to ask...Are the varsity games you are getting "better" games? It may be a case of assignors putting you in better games and waiting for feedback before giving you more varsity games.

Just a thought.