The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
My favorite part is driving 90 miles, walking into the gym, and having all the local eyes follow you to your seat on the bleachers, all with the "you ain't from around here, boy" look to them.

Oh, I could've gone on. Byron collars (only on one of the two officials), pea whistles, black (faded to grey) cotton dockers with a woven brown belt, white socks, no hustle, letting coaches stand during JV games (forbidden here), letting coaches do whatever they want without repercussions and most often every little bump (or perceived bump) is called as a foul, usually with no fist, just a whistle and a point. Or an open hand for fouls and fists for violations, blah, blah, blah.

Frequently we see both teams in the double bonus in the third quarter, which is wonderful for game flow and for our (grrrrr) starting time. There are many times I'll turn to my partner (or he to me) and say, "I can't watch any more of this" and we'll go get dressed early.

And as for us "giving pointers" to these guys, they don't think there's anything wrong. They'll frequently sit in the stands for the varsity games and openly root for the home team and scream at us. It's a real culture shock for someone coming from somewhere else.
I don't even bother trying to give these guys pointers.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
My favorite part is driving 90 miles, walking into the gym, and having all the local eyes follow you to your seat on the bleachers, all with the "you ain't from around here, boy" look to them.

Oh, I could've gone on. Byron collars (only on one of the two officials), pea whistles, black (faded to grey) cotton dockers with a woven brown belt, white socks, no hustle, letting coaches stand during JV games (forbidden here), letting coaches do whatever they want without repercussions and most often every little bump (or perceived bump) is called as a foul, usually with no fist, just a whistle and a point. Or an open hand for fouls and fists for violations, blah, blah, blah.

Frequently we see both teams in the double bonus in the third quarter, which is wonderful for game flow and for our (grrrrr) starting time. There are many times I'll turn to my partner (or he to me) and say, "I can't watch any more of this" and we'll go get dressed early.

And as for us "giving pointers" to these guys, they don't think there's anything wrong. They'll frequently sit in the stands for the varsity games and openly root for the home team and scream at us. It's a real culture shock for someone coming from somewhere else.
Rich............where are you from? This sounds horrible. Not to sound condescending, this would not be acceptable in Illinois.

That said , I had a partner years ago in a boys sophomore game who had a byron collar that his wife had cut off, now he had a Neru ref jersey "why should I spend the extra bucks" was his response.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Rich............where are you from?
Right next door......Wisconsin.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
I don't even bother trying to give these guys pointers.
How true, how true.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I am in my 8th year. Hard to believe. Last year was my best year for assignments. I had a 60% varsity schedule.

This year so far, 30%. I am left wondering what happened.
As they say in the summer basketball scene, sometimes exposure means you get exposed.

Who did you PO last year? Who do they know? Might be something as simple as saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Might also be that all those varsity games showed that you have a lot to work on, as far as your assignor is concerned.

If you really want to know, you have to ask the assignors, and you can't take no for an answer. If they feel you're not up to snuff, you need to know why so you can fix the problem.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I am in my 8th year. Hard to believe. Last year was my best year for assignments. I had a 60% varsity schedule.

This year so far, 30%. I am left wondering what happened.
You are an independant contractor, so do what I did. Get yourself a dual enrollment with a different asscociation and go from there. Just be careful how you schedule your games you don't want to PO both associations. We all go through this at times. I was struggling with the dual membership, but once I did it I started getting more varsity games from both.

Also have the conversation with your assignor ask him what happened. Be prepared to hear things you don't want to hear. If there are negative comment from AD's and coaches you should be able to know about them. Good luck.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 07:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Rich............where are you from? This sounds horrible. Not to sound condescending, this would not be acceptable in Illinois.

That said , I had a partner years ago in a boys sophomore game who had a byron collar that his wife had cut off, now he had a Neru ref jersey "why should I spend the extra bucks" was his response.
I would bet there are parts of Illinois where similar things can be found.