The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 12, 2000, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am wondering how your association assigns playoff games?
Old Sat May 13, 2000, 12:06am
tpaul

Angry

Larry, All our work in my association is done by crew. To do a play-off game, it's all about who you know. I'm a second year referee and I know guys that have 20+ years (and they get no play-off games) and my crew gets one play-off game a year. It's not fair, I agree. You have a bunch of experienced officials sitting at home and only a few of the top officials and their friends get games!! NOT FAIR, even though I'm in the system already.....
Old Sat May 13, 2000, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, Our play-off assignments in Indiana are assigned by the IHSAA. The coaches get a form by which they rate any crew that they want to rate. A four rating is the best they can give you and a one is like a ding. I believe that most coaches are very concientious about their ratings, however, I'm sure that some give out low ratings because of grudges. In any case, the crews who don't get very far complain about the "politics" in lieu of trying to improve their people skills which, I'm sure influence ratings as much as anything.

Old Tue Jun 06, 2000, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

In Illinois, it is pretty much the same as in Indiana. The IHSA assigns the playoff games. Senior officials with better ratings, higher test scores, and advanced promotion levels get first crack at playoff games. Illinois has a rating system and 3 levels of promotion. From lowest to higher they are: Registered, Recognized, and Certified. To get the the highest level, you must pass a two-hour(?) closed book exam with at least a 90%(?) or something like that.

All right, too much info for the question you asked. Suffice to say, our State Association assigns playoff games.

------------------
Mike S.
ILLINIOS