Thread: Assignments
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I was in your spot three years ago. I found out two hard truths: because I was always available for the early games -- the freshmen/JV double-headers that start at 3:30, I was assigned those games. It made absolutely no difference to my assignor how good I was or how many camps I went to. He needed reliable officials for the early games and I was that. I also never complained. I just took the assignments -- and I got a lot of them.

That was the other hard truth. My assignor believed he was doing me a favor. He gave me a lot of games -- and thus a lot of money. I wanted varsity games and he did not want to assign me varsity...because he had lots of varsity officials, but not enough sub-varsity officials. And I made a tactical error in working for only one guy. He assigned for a lot of leagues -- when he retired last year, those leagues hired four different assignors to do what he did alone.

We had a falling out three years ago because I pushed hard for varsity assignments. It was the best thing that happened to me. I did exactly what Dan suggested: I found another assignor. And another And a third. And I was able to cobble together a good scheule -- with about 60 percent varsity games. Last year...it was all varsity, with a couple of "off-date" last-minute sub-varsity games for a new assignor...who this year is giving me a couple of varsity games. This year, I have only varsity games.