The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

A few questions.....

I just got home from a get together with about 10 of my brother officials. We were going over our refresher test and had a disagreement with the following four questions: I will give you my answer and would appreciate your thoughts.

1) While A1 is dribbling past an opponet, the ball touches the opponent without loss of control by A1. A1 catches the ball and starts another dribble. Official rules this a legal play.

I say NO... Rule 4-15 article 4d

2) While dribbling in the frontcourt, near the division line, A1 steps on the division. Officials rules this a backcourt violation even though he/she is not touching the ball.

I say NO. A1 is not touching the ball so how can you have a backcourt violation????

3) A6 replaces A1. As play is about to resume, the coach of Team B is charged with a technical foul. Coach of team A want A1 to shoot the free throws. Official rules A1 is not eligible to attempt the free throws.

I say YES. Rule 8-2 section 3

4) While A1's first free throw of two is in flight, A2 and B2 commit double personal fouls. A1's try is successful. Official resumes play by awarding A1 his second free throm and plays off the make or miss.

I say yes. Case play, page 29 4.19.8 situation D

I would appreciate any feedback, therefore if the situations happens in a game I officiate, I will make the proper call. I will pass on your feedback to my brother officials.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:41pm
In Memoriam

1) Read rule 9-5-2. The first dribble ended with the touch by an opponent. They can legally dribble again.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

My responses in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchill24
I just got home from a get together with about 10 of my brother officials. We were going over our refresher test and had a disagreement with the following four questions: I will give you my answer and would appreciate your thoughts.

1) While A1 is dribbling past an opponet, the ball touches the opponent without loss of control by A1. A1 catches the ball and starts another dribble. Official rules this a legal play.

I say NO... Rule 4-15 article 4d I agree. The rule specifies loss of control.

2) While dribbling in the frontcourt, near the division line, A1 steps on the division. Officials rules this a backcourt violation even though he/she is not touching the ball.

I say NO. A1 is not touching the ball so how can you have a backcourt violation???? I don't agree. A player is in control while dribbling per 4-12-1 and it is also a violation to step OOB during a dribble even though the player is not in contact with the ball at the time per the note in 9-3.

3) A6 replaces A1. As play is about to resume, the coach of Team B is charged with a technical foul. Coach of team A want A1 to shoot the free throws. Official rules A1 is not eligible to attempt the free throws.

I say YES. Rule 8-2 section 3 I agree 3-3-4.

4) While A1's first free throw of two is in flight, A2 and B2 commit double personal fouls. A1's try is successful. Official resumes play by awarding A1 his second free throm and plays off the make or miss.

I say yes. Case play, page 29 4.19.8 situation D I agree that the POI 4-36-2b.

I would appreciate any feedback, therefore if the situations happens in a game I officiate, I will make the proper call. I will pass on your feedback to my brother officials.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

On #3, doesn't proper time have to run off the clock before A1 can come in again, since he has been substituted for?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Read rule 9-5-2. The first dribble ended with the touch by an opponent. They can legally dribble again.
Yes, please do read 9-5-2. As Nevadaref points out, the player may dribble again only if there is a LOSS OF CONTROL caused by an opponent's touch.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
just want to briefly point out that 10 officials gathered together with no women included is too bad. I know a lot of you will disagree with me and I know all the reasons why, but it's my opinion.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe, maybe not, IMO.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
just want to briefly point out that 10 officials gathered together with no women included is too bad. I know a lot of you will disagree with me and I know all the reasons why, but it's my opinion.
Too bad for the wimmen; great for the men.

Keep finding those windmills where none exist.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Yes, please do read 9-5-2. As Nevadaref points out, the player may dribble again only if there is a LOSS OF CONTROL caused by an opponent's touch.
I realize that you that and Nevada are infallible, but I gotta confess that personally I've never been able to definitively tell exactly what is a loss of control is in those bang-bang circumstances, That's why I usually give the benefit of the doubt to the dribbler.

Maybe one day though....I can only hope and dream.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:37am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I gotta confess that personally I've never been able to definitively tell exactly what is a loss of control is in those bang-bang circumstances,
Well, here's one to tell: when the test question TELLS you that there's no loss of control

Quote:
1) While A1 is dribbling past an opponet, the ball touches the opponent without loss of control by A1.
Stick with it for another 80 years and you might just get the hang of this officiating thing.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Too bad for the wimmen; great for the men.
Too bad for you that you feel that way! You're missing a great game
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Good point. I'm also wondering if there was representation from the under 5'3" community.

(Bhuch sent an email asking me to post this btw)
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Good point. I'm also wondering if there was representation from the under 5'3" community.

(Bhuch sent an email asking me to post this btw)
yea, he gets a little testy about that sometimes, I know...
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
yea, he gets a little testy about that sometimes, I know...
That's just slander.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
That's just slander.
Slander is my middle name.