The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 01:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Slightly off topic - coach problem in another sport

Attended my granddaughter's (5th grade) final soccer game of the season yesterday. They played another unbeaten team and the final was 1-1, with my granddaughter scoring the tying goal with about 3 minutes to go. The game was officiated by one person - a girl who looked to be about 15 or 16. She did a very good job, despite what the opposing coach thought. I couldn't believe how much he complained - and very loudly, too.

At halftime, she came over to him and told him to "tone it down" because he was setting a bad example for the girls. I thought this was a very mature thing for a girl of her age to do. He just paid her some lip service and walked away.

With about 10 minutes to go in the game, he yelled at an offside no-call. Of course, he was wrong (I had a much better angle). The ball went OOB and she blew her whistle, came over to him again and told him that if he kept on yelling at her, she would forfeit the game and his team would lose. He told her she "couldn't do that" and she said "I guess that's another league rule you don't understand" and then just stood there and stared at him. I was fully expecting her to puke on his shoes. He stood there for a minute, then turned around and walked away. She got applause from adults on both teams.

He shut up the rest of the game. After the game, she had at least 20 people go over to her and congratulate her on her performance and how she handled that jerk. I was one of the first to shake her hand. She said she was sorry she had to take that position, but she couldn't let him teach the girls that it was OK to behave that way.

I told her if she wanted to work basketball to just let me know.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Attended my granddaughter's (5th grade) final soccer game of the season yesterday. They played another unbeaten team and the final was 1-1, with my granddaughter scoring the tying goal with about 3 minutes to go. The game was officiated by one person - a girl who looked to be about 15 or 16. She did a very good job, despite what the opposing coach thought. I couldn't believe how much he complained - and very loudly, too.

At halftime, she came over to him and told him to "tone it down" because he was setting a bad example for the girls. I thought this was a very mature thing for a girl of her age to do. He just paid her some lip service and walked away.

With about 10 minutes to go in the game, he yelled at an offside no-call. Of course, he was wrong (I had a much better angle). The ball went OOB and she blew her whistle, came over to him again and told him that if he kept on yelling at her, she would forfeit the game and his team would lose. He told her she "couldn't do that" and she said "I guess that's another league rule you don't understand" and then just stood there and stared at him. I was fully expecting her to puke on his shoes. He stood there for a minute, then turned around and walked away. She got applause from adults on both teams.

He shut up the rest of the game. After the game, she had at least 20 people go over to her and congratulate her on her performance and how she handled that jerk. I was one of the first to shake her hand. She said she was sorry she had to take that position, but she couldn't let him teach the girls that it was OK to behave that way.

I told her if she wanted to work basketball to just let me know.
Great story! She sounds like a remarkable person over all. Definitely get her into the PBOA. Howard always needs to have more people like that! Oh, you meant the TBA...
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Great story! She sounds like a remarkable person over all. Definitely get her into the PBOA. Howard always needs to have more people like that! Oh, you meant the TBA...
Based on where that soccer league is located, she'd probably be closer to working THBOA to start.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Any adult male that treats a young lady, regardless of her job, like that deserves a right cross. If he's coaching my daughter, I'd be down on the field and making him behave (my size and mean looking-ness can come in handy sometimes!).

With that said, I'd probably find out who the league administrator is and have a talk with him.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Any adult male that treats a young lady, regardless of her job, like that deserves a right cross.
Although I appreciate the sentiment, perhaps your critique of overly aggressive coaches might be more effective without the suggestion of physical violence.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 05:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Any adult male that treats a young lady, regardless of her job, like that deserves a right cross. If he's coaching my daughter, I'd be down on the field and making him behave (my size and mean looking-ness can come in handy sometimes!).

With that said, I'd probably find out who the league administrator is and have a talk with him.

I think Plan B is better.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Smile

WOW, she sounded incredible. I work with 40 and 50 year old guys that would not handle the situation as well.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

So if this was a young man then it would have been OK?

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Applause to her for "getting it"....

When my son was younger, they would have HS aged kids umpire his baseball games and I always made it a point to talk to them after the game and let them know they were doing a good job and to keep at it.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I don't know

Quote:

I like the the threat of physical violence. Sometimes just the sight of a big ole , mean looking Texas Aggie might get the job done...

Geez a grown man yelling at a teenager girl at a 5th grade soccer match. he needs more than a smack to the head-he needs some dignity and class.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

had a situation in MS girls tourny. Working game with my daughter - first year official. One coach was really over the top with every whistle she blew. I know I'm biased - but have been told by all the guys in our association they would be happy to work with her at any level.

Anyway - coachis getting obnoxious and my daughter comes over to me during a TO and asks if I would go over and deal with her. I told her - the coach wasn't doing it to me - she had to learn to deal with these situation. She went over to coach after TO and pulled him aside so that her back was to bench/crowd. I heard her tell him that a letter to WIAA was $.39. Registration was $20. That would get him rule books, ref manual and case book along with exam. She told him that after he passed the exam, paid $4.95 for whistle, $36 for shirt, $39 for pants and $53 for shoes he could speak with her about her calls again. And she calmly walked to her spot - pointed at me that she was ready for inbound. Never heard from him again. Parents of team came down and thanked her. I was a proud papa - she never raised her voice, became angry or used any tupe of profane language - and yet he got the point.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Although I appreciate the sentiment, perhaps your critique of overly aggressive coaches might be more effective without the suggestion of physical violence.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Shut up.