The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Slightly off topic - coach problem in another sport (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39533-slightly-off-topic-coach-problem-another-sport.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:45pm

Slightly off topic - coach problem in another sport

Attended my granddaughter's (5th grade) final soccer game of the season yesterday. They played another unbeaten team and the final was 1-1, with my granddaughter scoring the tying goal with about 3 minutes to go. The game was officiated by one person - a girl who looked to be about 15 or 16. She did a very good job, despite what the opposing coach thought. I couldn't believe how much he complained - and very loudly, too.

At halftime, she came over to him and told him to "tone it down" because he was setting a bad example for the girls. I thought this was a very mature thing for a girl of her age to do. He just paid her some lip service and walked away.

With about 10 minutes to go in the game, he yelled at an offside no-call. Of course, he was wrong (I had a much better angle). The ball went OOB and she blew her whistle, came over to him again and told him that if he kept on yelling at her, she would forfeit the game and his team would lose. He told her she "couldn't do that" and she said "I guess that's another league rule you don't understand" and then just stood there and stared at him. I was fully expecting her to puke on his shoes. He stood there for a minute, then turned around and walked away. She got applause from adults on both teams.

He shut up the rest of the game. After the game, she had at least 20 people go over to her and congratulate her on her performance and how she handled that jerk. I was one of the first to shake her hand. She said she was sorry she had to take that position, but she couldn't let him teach the girls that it was OK to behave that way.

I told her if she wanted to work basketball to just let me know.

rainmaker Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Attended my granddaughter's (5th grade) final soccer game of the season yesterday. They played another unbeaten team and the final was 1-1, with my granddaughter scoring the tying goal with about 3 minutes to go. The game was officiated by one person - a girl who looked to be about 15 or 16. She did a very good job, despite what the opposing coach thought. I couldn't believe how much he complained - and very loudly, too.

At halftime, she came over to him and told him to "tone it down" because he was setting a bad example for the girls. I thought this was a very mature thing for a girl of her age to do. He just paid her some lip service and walked away.

With about 10 minutes to go in the game, he yelled at an offside no-call. Of course, he was wrong (I had a much better angle). The ball went OOB and she blew her whistle, came over to him again and told him that if he kept on yelling at her, she would forfeit the game and his team would lose. He told her she "couldn't do that" and she said "I guess that's another league rule you don't understand" and then just stood there and stared at him. I was fully expecting her to puke on his shoes. He stood there for a minute, then turned around and walked away. She got applause from adults on both teams.

He shut up the rest of the game. After the game, she had at least 20 people go over to her and congratulate her on her performance and how she handled that jerk. I was one of the first to shake her hand. She said she was sorry she had to take that position, but she couldn't let him teach the girls that it was OK to behave that way.

I told her if she wanted to work basketball to just let me know.

Great story! She sounds like a remarkable person over all. Definitely get her into the PBOA. Howard always needs to have more people like that! Oh, you meant the TBA...

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 11, 2007 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Great story! She sounds like a remarkable person over all. Definitely get her into the PBOA. Howard always needs to have more people like that! Oh, you meant the TBA...

Based on where that soccer league is located, she'd probably be closer to working THBOA to start. :(

Texas Aggie Sun Nov 11, 2007 02:32pm

Any adult male that treats a young lady, regardless of her job, like that deserves a right cross. If he's coaching my daughter, I'd be down on the field and making him behave (my size and mean looking-ness can come in handy sometimes!).

With that said, I'd probably find out who the league administrator is and have a talk with him.

mbyron Sun Nov 11, 2007 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Any adult male that treats a young lady, regardless of her job, like that deserves a right cross.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, perhaps your critique of overly aggressive coaches might be more effective without the suggestion of physical violence.

26 Year Gap Sun Nov 11, 2007 05:18pm

Quote:

Any adult male that treats a young lady, regardless of her job, like that deserves a right cross. If he's coaching my daughter, I'd be down on the field and making him behave (my size and mean looking-ness can come in handy sometimes!).

With that said, I'd probably find out who the league administrator is and have a talk with him.

I think Plan B is better.

Scooby Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:29am

WOW, she sounded incredible. I work with 40 and 50 year old guys that would not handle the situation as well.

JRutledge Mon Nov 12, 2007 01:00am

Quote:

So if this was a young man then it would have been OK? :rolleyes:

Peace

Coltdoggs Mon Nov 12, 2007 09:30am

Applause to her for "getting it"....

When my son was younger, they would have HS aged kids umpire his baseball games and I always made it a point to talk to them after the game and let them know they were doing a good job and to keep at it.

Chess Ref Mon Nov 12, 2007 09:43am

I don't know

Quote:

I like the the threat of physical violence. :) Sometimes just the sight of a big ole , mean looking Texas Aggie might get the job done...

Geez a grown man yelling at a teenager girl at a 5th grade soccer match. he needs more than a smack to the head-he needs some dignity and class.:(

chartrusepengui Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:16am

had a situation in MS girls tourny. Working game with my daughter - first year official. One coach was really over the top with every whistle she blew. I know I'm biased - but have been told by all the guys in our association they would be happy to work with her at any level.

Anyway - coachis getting obnoxious and my daughter comes over to me during a TO and asks if I would go over and deal with her. I told her - the coach wasn't doing it to me - she had to learn to deal with these situation. She went over to coach after TO and pulled him aside so that her back was to bench/crowd. I heard her tell him that a letter to WIAA was $.39. Registration was $20. That would get him rule books, ref manual and case book along with exam. She told him that after he passed the exam, paid $4.95 for whistle, $36 for shirt, $39 for pants and $53 for shoes he could speak with her about her calls again. And she calmly walked to her spot - pointed at me that she was ready for inbound. Never heard from him again. Parents of team came down and thanked her. I was a proud papa - she never raised her voice, became angry or used any tupe of profane language - and yet he got the point.

Dan_ref Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Although I appreciate the sentiment, perhaps your critique of overly aggressive coaches might be more effective without the suggestion of physical violence.

http://www.shannonburns.com/toon330.gif

rainmaker Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Shut up.