The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I Agree that this must be called, and it is a hard call. But you must be consistent with it.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:52am
Huck Finn

My opinion of screening and other off-ball calls is this: many officials talk about it, but few make the calls. I can only speak for Southern Nevada, the whole DC area and Mississippi, but this is what I've observed in the past.

Meetings are very lively with rules debates about everything, including screening. Then, the ball goes up and all that goes out the window. I don't think the officials I've come in contact with realize how little time a shooter needs to get off a good shot. It takes a very little amount of contact by the screener to free up a shooter. I see plays all the time where an official does not call an illegal screen where there is minimal contact, but still contact.
One of my good friends always gets pumped up when his first call is an illegal screen. For him that is setting the right tone for the game. It has worked for him too - after doing 4 or 5 years in the Pac-10 he is in Korea officiating their pro league.

I would encourage every official to know and understand the rules concerning screening, but most importantly know how to apply the rules and have the courage to do so.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If you aren't enforcing the screening rules correctly, then you are contributing to the rough play that the NFHS is striving to reduce.
Can you provide a reason why one shouldn't penalize an illegal back screen that failed to allow the opponent one step backwards prior to contact?
Yes, I can. If the contact is not rough and the screen generated no advantage, it doesn't need to be called. It can be, but a no call is also viable.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Yes I have called it. I will call it again. But I do not call it just because there is (minor) contact. The contact has to be illegal. That means displacement not just simply running into someone and stopping. A lot of screens that are illegal the person being screened sees the screen and stops. Calling the play that way all by itself is not a foul from my point of view. This is why in my opinion you do not see many fouls on back screens. Also many are allowed a step when I see them attempted.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Yes, I can. If the contact is not rough and the screen generated no advantage, it doesn't need to be called. It can be, but a no call is also viable.
I agree with you Cam....and I also agree it can be a difficult call on the screen and roll....Generally speaking I'm watching the D but on the screens, it's the O....I'm watching for how the "roller" comes off and how/if the contact that is there is created by him against the new defender who has switched...If it's minimal, with no real advantage gained (this is where watching the play through is helpful)...I will pass on it....

If that "roller" creates a lot of contact and gets the pass, then yes, I would be apt to call an illegal screen.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
My opinion of screening and other off-ball calls is this: many officials talk about it, but few make the calls. I can only speak for Southern Nevada, the whole DC area and Mississippi, but this is what I've observed in the past.

Agreed. A group of us had a conversation about screening at a preseason clinic just last weekend and the blind screen from behind was talked about in great detail. We all agree that it is a huge advantage for the offensive team and we all admitted that we did a poor job of calling it. My high school crew is going to discuss that play in our pregame for sure in the early games of the season.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

does this mean I am now a legitimate member of the board, after I finally had a post that generated some discussion?

anyway, thanks for all the comments

definitely going to be a topic of discussion for my pregame;
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 02:53pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
does this mean I am now a legitimate member of the board, after I finally had a post that generated some discussion?

anyway, thanks for all the comments

definitely going to be a topic of discussion for my pregame;
Uh... yeah.