The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

This is another "technicality" that baffles me. I just spent the weekend watching 14 year olds pitch - kids on travel teams who have each played probably 50 games a year or more for five years.

Most, but not all, of the pitchers, from the wind up, pick up the free foot from the rubber and then plant it a few inches in front of the rubber to the side, then pick it up again and deliver. Most never take a step back. Clearly this is two steps foward (and one to the side of the rubber). They do this apparently to balance their pivot. Mechanically this destroys any theoretical advantage of the wind up, since they basically end up throwing from a modified stretch, rather than rocking back and pivoting in one continuous movement.

But I have never seen an umpire try to correct what obviously is a violation of the rule: "With his "free" foot the pitcher may take one step backward and one step forward, but under no circumstances, to either side, that is to either the first base or third base side of the pitcher's rubber."

Why is this "two step" delivery permitted?
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbn3
This is another "technicality" that baffles me. I just spent the weekend watching 14 year olds pitch - kids on travel teams who have each played probably 50 games a year or more for five years.

Most, but not all, of the pitchers, from the wind up, pick up the free foot from the rubber and then plant it a few inches in front of the rubber to the side, then pick it up again and deliver. Most never take a step back. Clearly this is two steps foward (and one to the side of the rubber). They do this apparently to balance their pivot. Mechanically this destroys any theoretical advantage of the wind up, since they basically end up throwing from a modified stretch, rather than rocking back and pivoting in one continuous movement.

But I have never seen an umpire try to correct what obviously is a violation of the rule: "With his "free" foot the pitcher may take one step backward and one step
forward, but under no circumstances, to either side, that is to either the first base or third base side of the pitcher's rubber."

Why is this "two step" delivery permitted?
First of all the rule reads "may" and not must.

Second, the rules talk about not stepping to the side because in pro baseball a pitcher MAY step directly to first or third from the wind-up position in an attempted pickoff. Stepping to the side MAY lead a runner to think a pickoff is being attempted. However, 14 yr old pitchers are most likely trained using HS rules, which DO NOT allow this type of pick-off from the windup. They have also modified their rules this year to allow a step to the side of the rubber during the delivery.

There are enough infractions for an umpire to watch for during the delivery of a pitch, exact use of footwork in a manner that may or may not deceive the runner is just not necessary, with the exception of the pitcher properly stepping off the plate. Even this can be overlooked if not done to deceive the runner.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Official rules: "He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot."

I agree that the use of the word "may" means the step back is not mandatory. Some pitchers just rock back on the free foot without actually stepping. But I don't think any reading of the rule can lead to the conclusion that two steps forward are permitted. If the step is to the side, it must be behind the rubber (?), i.e., in Fed the "rocker step" may be to the side.

I also agree its not a big deal - doesn't deceive the hitter, and since in Fed he can't throw to a base it doesn't really deceive the runner(s). But the language is in the rules.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Official rules: "He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot."

I agree that the use of the word "may" means the step back is not mandatory. Some pitchers just rock back on the free foot without actually stepping. But I don't think any reading of the rule can lead to the conclusion that two steps forward are permitted. If the step is to the side, it must be behind the rubber (?), i.e., in Fed the "rocker step" may be to the side.

I also agree its not a big deal - doesn't deceive the hitter, and since in Fed he can't throw to a base it doesn't really deceive the runner(s). But the language is in the rules.
AND..........

Your not supposed to speed either, "the language is in the rules".

Get over it.

SH** Happens
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I was over it before I got to it! Umpires are supposed to catch the speeders, not ignore the laws. Can't stop every speeder, to be sure.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was over it before I got to it! Umpires are supposed to catch the speeders, not ignore the laws. Can't stop every speeder, to be sure.

Yea , Yea, Yea

And the Pope is Jewish, I will love you in the morning and 14yr olds are professional ball players.

Still can't stop every speeder though.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But the language is in the rules.
Explanation 1) Yes, but the rules can't be changed without the player's union's consent. They won't give it (for "any" rules change.) So what happens is that the interpretation changes.

Explanation 2) The rules were written by gentlemen, for gentlemen, not by lawyers for lawyers.

Explantion 3) There are 123 (yeah -- I made that number up) "known errors" in OBR. This is one of them.