View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

since I am on a role going through my screening rules:
anyone have any thoughts on what visual field means? in 4-40-3 it seemingly refers to screens from the front and side and I would think it is talking about the area that can easily be seen by just swiveling the head from side to side because obviously the guy being screened may not actually see the person who is in the visual field

on the other hand, 4-40-7 seems to define visual field as what is actually being seen by the person, not just what is to the front and side of them; only when they actually do see the screen can they be blamed for running into it and causing contact, it is "incidental contact" as the rule describes it; for example, you are running forward full bore and looking back for the ball and you crash into someone who has decided to plant themselves in front of you; that "screen" by the defender was in front of you, but is arguably outside of your visual field because you are looking back

sorry, this thread has become my repository for questions I need to resolve for myself.