The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

When to stop closely guarded count?

I have a rookie question that when I have asked at meetings, everyone seems to not be able to give a definitive answer. You have a closely guarded situation at the top of the key. You start the 5 count with your left hand. They start their dribble and are still closely guarded for a 4 count, then make a move to the basket while still closely guarded. Do you blow the whistle at 5 while they are moving toward the basket, or do you stop the count as they are making a "move" to the basket?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Your question is very clearly answered by the new rules book.
The count is terminated if the dribbler gets his head and shoulders past the defender. (4-10)

I should add that if this doesn't happen before the five seconds are up, then a closely guarded violation has occurred.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Memories

From Jackson35: "Do you stop the count as they are making a "move" to the basket?"

Many, many years ago, the dribbler earned a new count when he or she made a "move" past the 28 foot hashmark, but that was when we were having several jump balls in a game, players only got two points for a half court shot, and players along the lane line rebounded when the ball hit the rim, or was it on the release? I think that we've reversed ourselves a few times on the last reference.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

There is still a lot of confusion on this by veteran officials. The count continues until the dribbler gets his head and shoulders past the defender. A lot of officials still release the count if the dribbler makes a move on the basket. However, the rule is pretty clear when to end the count.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

As others have said...it's head and shoulders past the D....

The rule before seemed to favor the O if all they had to do was make a move toward the basket...If the D is still on them, that count continues...
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Regarding closely guarded...

the distance from the freethrow line to the top of the key is 4'9", correct?

and closely guarded count starts when the front foot of the ball handler and the front foot of the defender are within 6', correct?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The count is terminated if the dribbler gets his head and shoulders past the defender. (4-10)
I don't know about you guys, but if I see a player carrying his shampoo on the court, it's a T.

OK - I'll admit that was my lamest post in a long time.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach

A better measurement is gotten by using the center circle, which is 6' in radius.
Quote:

and closely guarded count starts when the front foot of the ball handler and the front foot of the defender are within 6', correct?
The rule says nothing about body parts, just says guarder needs to be within 6'
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The radius of the circle is 6 feet. The same applies to the center circle from the center line.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I don't know about you guys, but if I see a player carrying his shampoo on the court, it's a T.

OK - I'll admit that was my lamest post in a long time.
c'mon, give yourself some credit - you're typically much lamer than this.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The count is terminated if the dribbler gets his head and shoulders past the defender.
You couldve gone more lamerer by saying "a nobleman bringing his shampoo on the court should be a violation but killing him seems a little extreme"...
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The radius of the circle is 6 feet. The same applies to the center circle from the center line.

Peace
Thanks, I tell my guys to use the center circle measurement to guage their distance from their opponent. I was just wondering if why in my head there seemed to be a discrepancy with the freethrow circle. the freethrow line is 15', top of the key is 19' 9", are they measured from different points (baseline versus basket, or vice versa)?

Also, I remember reading in this years rules/case book something about the front foot of each player being within 6', I will try to find the reference when i get to my book when I get home tonight. If someone else can help, I would appreciate it.

Just asking, because different officials seem to have a different perception of how close a defender must be to start a count, but the floor markings should be consistant, barring an earthquake. I've had an official that does Div I NCAA games that occasionally slums it and does HS varsity games tell me that if the defenders not close enough to touch the ballhandler, its not close enough to start counting.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, I tell my guys to use the center circle measurement to guage their distance from their opponent. I was just wondering if why in my head there seemed to be a discrepancy with the freethrow circle. the freethrow line is 15', top of the key is 19' 9", are they measured from different points (baseline versus basket, or vice versa)?

Also, I remember reading in this years rules/case book something about the front foot of each player being within 6', I will try to find the reference when i get to my book when I get home tonight. If someone else can help, I would appreciate it.

Just asking, because different officials seem to have a different perception of how close a defender must be to start a count, but the floor markings should be consistant, barring an earthquake. I've had an official that does Div I NCAA games that occasionally slums it and does HS varsity games tell me that if the defenders not close enough to touch the ballhandler, its not close enough to start counting.
the rule does reference that the distance is to be measured from front foot of defender to front foot of offensive player...don't have my book with me for a reference, but that wording is in the rule...
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
the rule does reference that the distance is to be measured from front foot of defender to front foot of offensive player...don't have my book with me for a reference, but that wording is in the rule...
Not from what I can find in the 2006/2007 nfhs book in both rule 4 & rule 9 and case plays.

I guess you'll post your rule later.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
The top of the key is 19' 9" from center of basket. the free throw line is 15' from the backboard. The lane is 12' wide and the semicircle is the diameter of the lane or 6'.

Quote:
You are correct. I have seen it as well, but do not have the reference.

Quote:
I believe the lane spaces are also three foot and can be used as a guide.