The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

In addition to what Tim said, you can use some of the court marking to determine 6 feet. Tim mentioned the distance from the top of the key to the free throw line is six feet. So is the distance between the division line and the edge of the center circle. From the edge of the center circle to the top of the three-point arc is about 12 feet (if the court is the standard 84 feet long).

You can usually align the offensive player at one of these marks (division line, center circle, 1/2 way to three point arc, three point arc, free throw line) and the defensive player at another to determine the six feet.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

thanks everyone for your tips...they have been very helpful.

Jack
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Closely guarded count - Defender must be within 6 feet of offensive player with ball....are there any tips, techniques for determining distance. I had my count going and coach felt it was more than 6 feet. I thought otherwise. Any suggestions?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Two things you can do to determine six feet. Get two friends. Put one at the top of the key and the other at the free throw line and see how far appart they are. That is six feet. The other is what you see some of the college officials do from time to time. The average official is six feet tall and has a wingspan of six feet. Spread your arms. If you feel you could touch both players, then you should be counting.

P.S. Coaches will argue anything in order to get a turnover or avoid one. I had one the other night argue that he was driving the basket. So, he didn't get past the defender in the five seconds much less break the six foot berrior. Good defense gets rewarded.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I would favor being liberal on both situations. If I have to ? if he is 6' then i won't count because thats not good defense. When a player drives to the basket to shoot, my counts are off. Not much difference then 3sec count. Even the books say if the player is starting is movement to shoot the 3sec. count is off. Now if he doesn't shoot thats a different story-violation.