Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Article on NCAA bench decorum emphasis

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/...101107ach.html

Quote:
The NCAA is making bench decorum a point of emphasis for 2007-08 and warns coaches to expect a whistle without warning for a variety of unsportsmanlike actions.

Referees who are consistent in enforcing the rules will be rewarded.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Two seemingly random thoughts:

First, I wonder how the coaches quoted in the article will react if they get a quick T with no warning for being a foot out of the box or attempting to influence an official. I'm just cynical enough to believe that they won't react well when it happens to them.

Second, I've stated my skepticism that all this will actually change how things are enforced. But it occurred to me today that the NBA lead the way last year with their zero tolerance policy. Perhaps with that groundwork laid, maybe, just maybe, this will actually happen. I hope it does, because it would trickle down to HS ball.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 05:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think the decor of the bench makes a huge difference. I've seen some benches in utter disrepair, with chipped pieces of wood and poor varnish jobs. It really detracts from the overall beauty of the court.

Oh wait - you said "decorum". Never mind.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I think the decor of the bench makes a huge difference. I've seen some benches in utter disrepair, with chipped pieces of wood and poor varnish jobs. It really detracts from the overall beauty of the court.

Oh wait - you said "decorum". Never mind.
Too much HGTV, Mark.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Forgive me for being cynical, but I predict that bench decorum will be enforced early and then degrade as the season goes on. By the end of the season, coaches will be roaming and ranting like always. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd put some money on it.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

In my experience, it's not the bench that drives the crowd

I'm responding to the new POE. And I'm only responding to the officials in the PAC 10 Conference, which is the only conference with which I have direct experience. And I have a LOT of experience with that conference...

The new rule must not have much to do with our league. The coaches and assistants in the PAC 10 do not incite the crowd, and do not get many technicals. I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 technchal fouls called on the bench in the last 10 seasons. That guess might be too high.

The referees do get a lot of hostility, in every venue, from the crowd. The reason for that is the inconsistant calls from one end to the other, from one half to the other, from one game to the other, and from one crew to the other.

I expect the new rule to have no effect on play in the PAC, because the bench is not the problem.

BTTB
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 07:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTB
I'm responding to the new POE. And I'm only responding to the officials in the PAC 10 Conference, which is the only conference with which I have direct experience. And I have a LOT of experience with that conference...

The new rule must not have much to do with our league. The coaches and assistants in the PAC 10 do not incite the crowd, and do not get many technicals. I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 technchal fouls called on the bench in the last 10 seasons. That guess might be too high.
Please note that BTTB is a fanboy and not an official. He has no direct knowledge at all about PAC10 officiating, or any kind of officiating for that matter. He also has zip, nada, NO experience at all when it comes to anything related to officiating. Saying that PAC10 coaches don't incite the crowd or get many technicals is patently ridiculous. If you say differently, fanboy, post some statistics that will back up your claim.

Take anything that BTTB says as coming from a fanboy who obviously has an axe to grind with PAC10 officials.

Geeze, fanboy, why not wait until the season starts before you start your whining? Your team hasn't lost a game yet.

Btw, I got rid of your stoopid color scheme too, fanboy.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Saying that PAC10 coaches don't incite the crowd or get many technicals is patently ridiculous.
Name three. I dare you. I suspect you are wrong, simply because you don't know.

BTW, I meant it as a mutual compliment to both PAC benches and the PAC 10 referees that they DON'T call may bench technicals. They shouldn't, because almost none are warrented. It doesn't happen.

But, old one, if you insist, name me three. PAC 10, last ten seasons.

BTTB
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm waiting old guy. 15,000 posts, and no answer to my simple request? Maybe you say more than you know... Just give me three. BTW, I thought that might be too high.

BTTB
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 08:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm waiting old guy. 15,000 posts, and no answer to my simple request? Maybe you say more than you know... Just give me three. BTW, I thought that might be too high.
Naw, I don't play with fanboys. Waste of time.

Y'all just keep on a-whining and a-moaning about the mean ol' PAC10 officials. Try doing that on a fanboy site though. It might get received a little better. This site is for officials....and grown-ups.

Now, piss off. Shoo, shoo......
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't think so. All air, no mud. BTW, I'm right, you're wrong.

Sincerely, your fanboy,

BTTB
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Didn't think so. All air, no mud. BTW, I'm right, you're wrong.

Sincerely, your fanboy,
Good comeback, Potsie...
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I'm only responding to the officials in the PAC 10 Conference, which is the only conference with which I have direct experience. And I have a LOT of experience with that conference...
What type of experience do you have with the Pac 10? Are you an official in the conference? Player? Coach? Administrator?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I'm responding to the new POE. And I'm only responding to the officials in the PAC 10 Conference, which is the only conference with which I have direct experience. And I have a LOT of experience with that conference...
BTTB
Might I be so bold as to ask what your experience with the conference is?

I went to four Pac-10 games last year. I saw two direct T's called on coaches. Had this new emphasis been enforced at those four games, there would have been about a dozen T's handed out. The Pac-10 is no different from other conferences. Coaches treat referees with disrespect regularly. There might be quite a few T's early next season (although I suspect there will be a lot of warnings given instead) but it'll be the same old stuff after a while. Coaches have the most input on the rules committee. Once some veteran coaches start complaining that they "aren't being allowed to coach," the powers that be will cave in and we'll be back to square one.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 02:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, gratuitous and inane.

So does the PAC-10 get a "wait for it" now?