The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:51am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Personally, I don't think that coaches go to the table to complain.

Actually, I find that coaches (and others) often complain to me about things at the table. (many of which I cannot control)
The arrow is wrong. He's starting the clock late. etc.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Where did I say "it's always bad when the coach goes to the table"?

I said, "Nothing good can come from a coach going to the table."

That doesn't mean someone is going to get killed.
Where did I say, "Someone's going to get killed"?

Quote:
Why should he need to go to the table for other than a correctable error? If he has an issue, he should approach an official or have a stat person or team manager go to the table.
If the stat guy can go to the table, then why not let the coach?

Quote:
The NFHS doesn't want coaches going to the table. That fact is very evident.
Agreed. I just don't think your original comment addresses WHY they don't (which is what the original poster was asking, after all).
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Actually, I find that coaches (and others) often complain to me about things at the table. (many of which I cannot control)
I agree. And I think that would continue to be the case (complaining to us -- and NOT complaining to the table) if the coach were allowed to check personally. I could be wrong. I just don't think it would be as big a problem as others seem to think.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Well, ultimately we all do lose control of these things at one time or another, but we should control them. It's very important for us to know that these things are correct all the time, and to fix them if they're not. That's part of our job. And it's proper for the coach to complain to you, not the table, if there's a problem.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, if it weren't against the rules, I don't think very many bad things would happen by allowing the coach to be at the table briefly to check something in the book.
I disagree. It's way, way too easy for the table person(proved by the home team, after all) to be hired, trained and supervised by the head coach and thus for the influence to be way too intense, even when there's no intention for it to be so. Furthermore, I've seen coaches attempt to manipulate the table person into change something, perhaps with the best intentions, but still incorrectly. If there's a problem with something in the book or on the scoreboard, there are appropriate channels for correcting that, and they don't include the coach being at the table. I really like this rule and think it's best for everyone.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the stat guy can go to the table, then why not let the coach?

Agreed. I just don't think your original comment addresses WHY they don't (which is what the original poster was asking, after all).
There was a POE on this several years ago. Our state rep was on the rules committee that year. He stated that coaches were creating problems when going to the table. They were distracting the table crew during live ball play. Thye were getting angry at the table officials when they didn't like whatever the issue was. And that is why he told us the rule was in place.

If you don't agree with me that the NFHS doesn't want coaches at the table, then please tell me why the rule exists.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I disagree. It's way, way too easy for the table person(proved by the home team, after all) to be hired, trained and supervised by the head coach and thus for the influence to be way too intense, even when there's no intention for it to be so. Furthermore, I've seen coaches attempt to manipulate the table person into change something, perhaps with the best intentions, but still incorrectly. If there's a problem with something in the book or on the scoreboard, there are appropriate channels for correcting that, and they don't include the coach being at the table. I really like this rule and think it's best for everyone.
Touche'

Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate all the discussion. It seems there is some passion on both sides and it has helped me to understand from your points of view. Yes, the rule is the rule. My thoughts were towards, why would this rule be needed during T.Os and Intermissions.... No doubt there have been situations in games that this rule allows additional control over the coach, to avoid more extreme situtations. By making the coaching box restraints absolute, there should not be any inconsistency with treatment of coaches or their actions (if it is truly enforced by all). Perhaps that is needed or perhaps it is a copout for administration not enforcing the Coaches code of conduct. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
He stated that coaches were creating problems when going to the table. They were distracting the table crew during live ball play. Thye were getting angry at the table officials when they didn't like whatever the issue was.
And you're thinking that statisticians, or team managers, couldn't also distract the table during a live ball? Here's my point. If we're going to allow somebody to go to the table, why not the head coach as well? The head coach isn't going to be MORE of a distraction. After all, during a live ball, he/she is going to want to get back to coaching the team as quickly as possible.

Quote:
If you don't agree with me that the NFHS doesn't want coaches at the table, then please tell me why the rule exists.
Perhaps you didn't read my previous post. When you stated:

Quote:
The NFHS doesn't want coaches going to the table. That fact is very evident.
I replied:

Quote:
Agreed.
The issue is not the rule, nor has it ever been in this thread. The issue is the rationale for that rule.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After all, during a live ball, he/she is going to want to get back to coaching the team as quickly as possible.
I see that a number of your points are worth considering, but this one is interesting. A lot of coaches don't seem to be even remotely interested in "getting back to coaching", not just in going-to-the-table situations, but other times as well. I've seen a coach who was so busy screaming at the refs that he didn't even see their own players make a great steal and break-away lay-up. Not even remotely interested in coaching.

Hhmmm... looking over this post, and my last one, perhaps the moral to the story is that I need to work to get better games, where coaches are actually more interested in the game itself.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I see that a number of your points are worth considering, but this one is interesting. A lot of coaches don't seem to be even remotely interested in "getting back to coaching", not just in going-to-the-table situations, but other times as well. I've seen a coach who was so busy screaming at the refs that he didn't even see their own players make a great steal
Hmmm. this would have been a terrific time for a game-interrupter.
Quote:
and break-away lay-up. Not even remotely interested in coaching.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 01:21pm.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you're thinking that statisticians, or team managers, couldn't also distract the table during a live ball? Here's my point. If we're going to allow somebody to go to the table, why not the head coach as well? The head coach isn't going to be MORE of a distraction. After all, during a live ball, he/she is going to want to get back to coaching the team as quickly as possible.
Ihave never seen a team manager get mad and yell at the table.

I've seen coaches get made and yell at the table before.

Yes, that is more of a distraction than a team manager would be.

Quote:
The issue is the rationale for that rule.
I asked you to "please tell me why the rule exists."

That means, what do you think the rationale behind the rule is? It doesn't mean that you have to agree with it. I just asked your take on "the rational for the rule.

Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Hmmm. this would have been a terrific time for a game-interrupter.
Yip. And I asked the ref about it at half-time. He said he didn't want to take it away from the girl. He whacked the coach shortly afterward. BTW, a dad (the girl's? I dont know) was all over the coach about not seeing that play. Furthermore, that was the coach's last year at that school. So I hope he learned his lessons.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So yes, boys and girls, it's bad -- very very bad -- for a head coach to be at the scorer's table, except in very rare and well-defined situations. However, if it weren't against the rules, I don't think very many bad things would happen by allowing the coach to be at the table briefly to check something in the book.
Yup, that's all I was saying. And that I can agree with(fwiw) . If a coach was OK to go the table, we'd still treat each incident on it's own merits. If the coach was there for information, etc., fine--as long as he/she wasn't distracting table personnel from doing their duties. If the coach was at the table to work us or annoy anyone at the table, we handle it the same way as if he was in his box.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 02:19pm.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:43pm
PYRef

Quote:
After all, during a live ball, he/she is going to want to get back to coaching the team as quickly as possible..
As an interesting side to this statement, I was a spectator at a recent girls JV summer league game. The coach was not only at the table, he used it to lean on while he ate his sandwich during the game when he wasn't yelling at his team.

I think he missed a lot of the game.