The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question

No IFR in this instance, but lets say that there is a runner on first, the batter then pops the ball up between first and second base.The pitcher or first base or second baseman baseman, drops ( intentionally or not)the ball. Now the runner that is on first doesnt leave the bag as they figure the ball is caught. Opposing player picks up the dropped ball, tags the person at first as well as steps on first base to force the batter out. In this case who would be out, the runner at first, the batter or what.?????????
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 02:46pm
Jerry Blum

It depends on if the Fielder tags the runner or steps on the base first. If the fielder tags the runner first and then steps on the base before the batter gets there we have a double play and they are both out. If the fielder tags the base first the batter is out but the runner is then considered safe because there is no longer a force play that makes the runner leave the base.

I saying this as a player who has had this play called this way a couple of times exactly the way I have described, however, going by some of our umps knowledge of the rules I may be wrong. If I am I am sure someone else will let me know.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
It also depends on whether the defensive player INTENTIONALLY dropped the ball. If s/he did, in the umpire's judgement, then the ball is immediately dead, the batter is out and the runner is returned to 1st.

SamC
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrhappybigpants
No IFR in this instance, but lets say that there is a runner on first, the batter then pops the ball up between first and second base.The pitcher or first base or second baseman baseman, drops ( intentionally or not)the ball. Now the runner that is on first doesnt leave the bag as they figure the ball is caught. Opposing player picks up the dropped ball, tags the person at first as well as steps on first base to force the batter out. In this case who would be out, the runner at first, the batter or what.?????????
Sorry, but cannot rule on this play until the drop has been deemed intentional or not.