The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   case 10.5.1 Sit C (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38681-case-10-5-1-sit-c.html)

Splute Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:57am

case 10.5.1 Sit C

The coach of Team A leaves the bench area and goes to the table to seek information other than a correctable error: (a) during a time-out: or (b) during the intermission between the first and second quarters. RULING: A technical foul is charged directly to the coach in both (a) and (b).
The final sentence in this paragraph trys to explain the reasoning behind this, but can anyone honestly tell me why a coach cannot inquire for this info during these instances, but anyone else can? Does / Would any of you enforce the tech if you saw the coach at the scorer's table during these instances?

BktBallRef Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13am

That's easy. Coaches are restricted to the bench area and the coaching box, even during timeouts. The rule is clear that they can only go to the table for a possible correctable error. The coach can send a statistician to find out anything he needs to know for any other reason.

Yes, I would.

Nothing good can come from the coach going to the scorer's table.

Mark Padgett Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Amen, brother.

Splute Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:13pm

Quote:

That's easy. Coaches are restricted to the bench area and the coaching box, even during timeouts. The rule is clear that they can only go to the table for a possible correctable error. The coach can send a statistician to find out anything he needs to know for any other reason.

Yes, I would.

Hum, sounds like the voice of experience :) Yes I agree it is the rule. Based on your last sentence, I will gather that is more the reason for the rule rather than what the rule book offers to explain this one. As I read thru the rule books this one stuck out in my head as one that didnt add anything to the game.... perhaps it is more inclined to what it can allow to take away. Thanks

Jurassic Referee Sat Oct 06, 2007 01:42pm

Quote:

And that's exactly why the FED implemented the rule.

Nevadaref Sat Oct 06, 2007 08:13pm

FYI the NCAA rule is a bit different.

Splute Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Okay you tweeked my interest. Let me see if I can google the rule.....

Splute Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:25pm

Quote:

If I found the correct rule, the coach IS allowed to approach the scores table during a TO or Intermission in NCAA... Rule 10 section 11 art. 3a

rainmaker Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
Okay you tweeked my interest. Let me see if I can google the rule.....

tweaked or piqued. Just saying...

Splute Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
tweaked or piqued. Just saying...

Interesting... well I intended the spelling to be "tweeked", working on the "eeked" portion, slight inflated voice. I did forget that we have a well versed group here. Yes tweaked is the correct spelling and I suppose the true definition doesnt apply; except maybe in the southern phrase of getting someone's attention aroused, but not in a resentful means as pique would suggest. :) very quip rainmaker, I needed a smile, thanks.

rainmaker Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:48pm

Quote:

, but not in a resentful means as pique would suggest. :) very quip rainmaker, I needed a smile, thanks.

pique /pik/ Pronunciation Key [peek] verb, piqued, piqu·ing
–verb (used with object)
1. to affect with sharp irritation and resentment, esp. by some wound to pride: She was greatly piqued when they refused her invitation.
2. to wound (the pride, vanity, etc.).
3. to excite (interest, curiosity, etc.): Her curiosity was piqued by the gossip.

Your interest was piqued as in excited, not piqued as in resented. But I gotta admit, I like using tweek with the emphasis on EEK!! definitely got the sound that you intended!

Nevadaref Sun Oct 07, 2007 01:34am

Quote:

If I found the correct rule, the coach IS allowed to approach the scores table during a TO or Intermission in NCAA... Rule 10 section 11 art. 3a

Yep, and really I don't see why the NFHS doesn't allow that. Time-outs and intermissions are breaks that a coach gets to instruct his team, if he wants to waste that time by being over at the table obtaining information isn't that his loss?

Splute Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:31am

Quote:

Yep, and really I don't see why the NFHS doesn't allow that. Time-outs and intermissions are breaks that a coach gets to instruct his team, if he wants to waste that time by being over at the table obtaining information isn't that his loss?

Those were some of my original thoughts when I read the NFHS rule. It seems they want us to "tech" the coach for everything. I am sure these constraints came about for good reason. It just seems illogical to me.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 07, 2007 01:13pm

Quote:

Because nothing good can come from a copach going to the table. If it's not for a correctable error, then he's likely going to complain about soemthing.

AHEM!!!! DON'T YOU AGREE!?!?! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by msavakinas
personally i would use preventive officiating and just tell the coach to get his a$$ back in the box where he's allowed. no reason to tech him up here.

How many times are you going to tell him to do that? Once? Twice? Ten times?

truerookie Sun Oct 07, 2007 04:46pm

I always find it interesting that we like to give coaches, players etc. The benefit of the doubt when we have a personal reservation to a rule we do not particularly agree with. JMO.:cool: