Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Calm down for God's sake. I work 3 sports and I work much less than people that one sport. I know people in football and basketball that work 5 days a week with their jobs and their family obligations. During the baseball season once the spring is over, most of my baseball season is pretty much completely over, while other umpires work until October. I turn down games all the time even when I could work or I am technically available. Also being a favorite of your assignor does not mean you have to take every game they give you. If you work fewer games and stop trying to chase the every chance to make an extra 50 bucks, you might have fresher legs when it counts. BTW, I turn down games all the time when I am clearly available because I want to be fresh for the varsity and college games I already have scheduled. If you want to have fresh legs, those individuals might want to change their schedules and give other officials a chance to work games. You do not have to work them all.

Peace
Not sure what I said that makes you think I need to calm down. Just checked my pulse, and it's at resting level.

My only point is you only allowed for one reason to take more than 2 or 3 games. Personally, I make it a policy to limit to three a day. The extra money isn't worth it, and by game four I'm just not as into it. Since moving here, I haven't had to even worry about making an exception. There just isn't that much ball here compared to the number of officials.

When I was in Iowa, though, there were times I was, in my assigner's words, the only available option. It's not about being your assignor's favorite; it's about being a partner that's better than nothing, as the Juggler said. Sometimes it comes down to either one official, or two at 80%. I'll take two at 80% and cut them some slack for mechanics deviations.

Again, my point is simple; there are other reasons why officials might work more games than they're comfortable with than just to "chase every chance to make an extra 50 bucks." It's not a fair judgment to make.