The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orion, MI
Posts: 152
Free Throw Lane Positions

Rule 8.1.4

Doesn't this rule state that the first two lane positions MUST be occupied by the opponents of the free throw shooter? For all free throws? I had a coach try to use the first free throw as a time out and pull all her players to the bench while the shooter shot her first shot. I told her that the first two lane spaces had to be occupied by two of her players and she threw a hissy. She "never" had to do that before. I calmly explained that it's a NFHS rule and then she wanted to see the rule book later. She didn't ask at the end of the game, so I didn't show her the rule. I just wanted to make sure I'm in the right on this one. I've honestly never had anyone question that before.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
Yep, you are right. However, whenever the ball is to remain dead following the final FT, such as with technical foul FTs or intentional foul FTs, no players shall be permitted to occupy lane spaces.

*10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are: (a) huddling in the lane; or (b) two B players are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: In (a), if the huddle delays the officials' administration, Team B is warned. The warning is recorded by the scorer and reported to the head coach. If Team B had been previously warned for delay, a technical foul shall be charged. In (b), Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Rule 8.1.4

Doesn't this rule state that the first two lane positions MUST be occupied by the opponents of the free throw shooter? For all free throws? I had a coach try to use the first free throw as a time out and pull all her players to the bench while the shooter shot her first shot. I told her that the first two lane spaces had to be occupied by two of her players and she threw a hissy. She "never" had to do that before. I calmly explained that it's a NFHS rule and then she wanted to see the rule book later. She didn't ask at the end of the game, so I didn't show her the rule. I just wanted to make sure I'm in the right on this one. I've honestly never had anyone question that before.
The first spots MUST be occupied for all FTs except those where the ball will be dead after the last FT even if the last FT is missed. Examples of times where the spots may/must be vacant: FTs for a technical foul, intentional foul, flagrant foul; FTs for a foul that occurs as time expires for a quarter. FTs for a foul when another foul has also been called (penalizing in order of occurance...only the last in the sequence will have rebounders on the lane).

One exception where the spaces can remain empty is during FTs immediately following a timout or intermission (resuming play procedure). The FTs may be started with the spaces empty, however, if the FT is missed, it is a violation and a replacement try is awarded. If the FT is missed again with the spaces still vacant, it is a T.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 07:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,880
Rare Situation

I believe that both spaces do not have to be filled when the "defensive" team has only one player left in the game and still has a chance to win the game????
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I believe that both spaces do not have to be filled when the "defensive" team has only one player left in the game and still has a chance to win the game????
I agree.
__________________
If you ain't first, you're LAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I believe that both spaces do not have to be filled when the "defensive" team has only one player left in the game and still has a chance to win the game????
You are correct. I actually authored this play on this very forum a few years ago, and the NFHS took it and issued an official interpretation.

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
One exception where the spaces can remain empty is during FTs immediately following a timout or intermission (resuming play procedure). The FTs may be started with the spaces empty, however, if the FT is missed, it is a violation and a replacement try is awarded. If the FT is missed again with the spaces still vacant, it is a T.

Not quite, Camron.

When the RPP is in effect, A1 can take his/her first FT attempt with no one from B in the lower blocks. If A1 misses the FT, then B has violated, and A1 gets a replacement throw. B must occupy the lower blocks for the replacement FT and if they don't, a technical foul is assessed when the official is ready to administer the FT. (10.1.5A)
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
Rule 8.1.4

Doesn't this rule state that the first two lane positions MUST be occupied by the opponents of the free throw shooter? For all free throws? I had a coach try to use the first free throw as a time out and pull all her players to the bench while the shooter shot her first shot. I told her that the first two lane spaces had to be occupied by two of her players and she threw a hissy. She "never" had to do that before. I calmly explained that it's a NFHS rule and then she wanted to see the rule book later. She didn't ask at the end of the game, so I didn't show her the rule. I just wanted to make sure I'm in the right on this one. I've honestly never had anyone question that before.
Going over some rules review between plays of SNF (Go Colts) and came upon this post from last year.
Rule 8-1 Art4c says "...SHALL be occupied by opponents of the free thrower."
In the case book, 8.1.3 situation says in the ruling, "...the first mark spaces MUST be occupied by opponents..." I assume SHALL means MUST because SHALL is defined as mandatory. Not trying to split hairs but I suggest that the rule and case sit should use the same words. I can see the coach in the above mentioned sit arguing the verbiage. If it happens to me, I'll pull out my Webster Pocket Dictionary, not the rule book.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:25pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
They'd have to know the rule, in detail before that ever happens.

IOW....
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 04:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post
Going over some rules review between plays of SNF (Go Colts) and came upon this post from last year.
Rule 8-1 Art4c says "...SHALL be occupied by opponents of the free thrower."
In the case book, 8.1.3 situation says in the ruling, "...the first mark spaces MUST be occupied by opponents..." I assume SHALL means MUST because SHALL is defined as mandatory. Not trying to split hairs but I suggest that the rule and case sit should use the same words. I can see the coach in the above mentioned sit arguing the verbiage. If it happens to me, I'll pull out my Webster Pocket Dictionary, not the rule book.
Shall and must are the same. Any attorney can tell you that is one of the first things that is taught at law school.
But just for the sake of clarity the governing body at one level of a sport which I officiate just decided to change all of the instances of "shall" to "must". I can't recall right now, if that was soccer or basketball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
free throw lane issues deecee Basketball 97 Mon May 16, 2005 11:53am
free throw lane violations mdray Basketball 8 Wed Feb 12, 2003 04:42pm
Lane Spaces on Free Throw JLC Basketball 14 Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:46pm
free throw lane Bart Tyson Basketball 1 Mon Oct 22, 2001 09:34am
free throw lane bake17 Basketball 6 Mon Mar 26, 2001 07:24pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1