View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Rule 8.1.4

Doesn't this rule state that the first two lane positions MUST be occupied by the opponents of the free throw shooter? For all free throws? I had a coach try to use the first free throw as a time out and pull all her players to the bench while the shooter shot her first shot. I told her that the first two lane spaces had to be occupied by two of her players and she threw a hissy. She "never" had to do that before. I calmly explained that it's a NFHS rule and then she wanted to see the rule book later. She didn't ask at the end of the game, so I didn't show her the rule. I just wanted to make sure I'm in the right on this one. I've honestly never had anyone question that before.
The first spots MUST be occupied for all FTs except those where the ball will be dead after the last FT even if the last FT is missed. Examples of times where the spots may/must be vacant: FTs for a technical foul, intentional foul, flagrant foul; FTs for a foul that occurs as time expires for a quarter. FTs for a foul when another foul has also been called (penalizing in order of occurance...only the last in the sequence will have rebounders on the lane).

One exception where the spaces can remain empty is during FTs immediately following a timout or intermission (resuming play procedure). The FTs may be started with the spaces empty, however, if the FT is missed, it is a violation and a replacement try is awarded. If the FT is missed again with the spaces still vacant, it is a T.