View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
Rule 8.1.4

Doesn't this rule state that the first two lane positions MUST be occupied by the opponents of the free throw shooter? For all free throws? I had a coach try to use the first free throw as a time out and pull all her players to the bench while the shooter shot her first shot. I told her that the first two lane spaces had to be occupied by two of her players and she threw a hissy. She "never" had to do that before. I calmly explained that it's a NFHS rule and then she wanted to see the rule book later. She didn't ask at the end of the game, so I didn't show her the rule. I just wanted to make sure I'm in the right on this one. I've honestly never had anyone question that before.
Going over some rules review between plays of SNF (Go Colts) and came upon this post from last year.
Rule 8-1 Art4c says "...SHALL be occupied by opponents of the free thrower."
In the case book, 8.1.3 situation says in the ruling, "...the first mark spaces MUST be occupied by opponents..." I assume SHALL means MUST because SHALL is defined as mandatory. Not trying to split hairs but I suggest that the rule and case sit should use the same words. I can see the coach in the above mentioned sit arguing the verbiage. If it happens to me, I'll pull out my Webster Pocket Dictionary, not the rule book.