The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, Yell At Me

Saw my Dr. today. He's also been one of my best friends for over 20 years. With all of the soccer games I've had this fall my knees have been feeling the effects. He examined me and said, ""Your knees are worse than I expected." Then he suggested that I drop a few pounds. I did so about 3 years ago but slowly let most of it creep back on. When I was ready to go I asked, "So how much do you want me to lose?" He told me. So guys, and Juulie, I need you to yell at me to get me going on dropping some pounds and staying with it. Let me have it. I need it!
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Saw my Dr. today. He's also been one of my best friends for over 20 years. With all of the soccer games I've had this fall my knees have been feeling the effects. He examined me and said, ""Your knees are worse than I expected." Then he suggested that I drop a few pounds. I did so about 3 years ago but slowly let most of it creep back on. When I was ready to go I asked, "So how much do you want me to lose?" He told me. So guys, and Juulie, I need you to yell at me to get me going on dropping some pounds and staying with it. Let me have it. I need it!
Don't feel so bad. There's always volleyball.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 06:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Don't you already have a wife?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you need to get yelled at, go find a coach.

"The best food in the world isn't nearly as gratifying as being at the right weight."
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
HEY, YOU!!
Get with it!!
Put down that box of chocolate ice cream!!
Pick up that jumprope!!
.. and don't stop until you pass out!!

There. I hope that helps.

But seriously, here's what I'm doing, and it's helping quite a bit. Get up and walk briskly for an hour every morning, if you've got a dog, that helps. Then walk briskly about 15 minutes at lunch time, and at dinner time. Reduce serving sizes, and eat a few bites of pure protein (meat or real cheese) if you feel hungry. When you crave sweets, skip a meal and sit down and eat about 8 oz of candy. Eat it slowly and enjoy every minute of it. Don't eat any carbs unless they're whole grain. I've lost about 10 pounds in about 6 weeks. PS It's also helping with the stiffness, and it does reduce depression.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Last time I was serious about losing weight I simply stopped eating sweets... all sweets of any kinds and walked at the HS track 1 - 4 miles a day and I dropped 20 lbs. I also got rid of a lot of stinking thinking and kept in the right mindset. Then a year ago I moved... which brought on lots of new stress... and I got a little lazy... and I starting eating anything I wanted... and now I need to drop those pounds again. Keep yelling.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Yeah, and she's going through menopause so let's don't get her started yelling, OK!
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Last time I was serious about losing weight I simply stopped eating sweets... all sweets of any kinds and walked at the HS track 1 - 4 miles a day and I dropped 20 lbs. I also got rid of a lot of stinking thinking and kept in the right mindset. Then a year ago I moved... which brought on lots of new stress... and I got a little lazy... and I starting eating anything I wanted... and now I need to drop those pounds again. Keep yelling.
A few years ago I gave up Pepsi (and other pop) for Lent and lost 20 pounds. I wasn't smart enough to make it a life-style change.
I have again given up pop (for the most part, with the occasional 12 ounce indulgence) and have lost at least 10 pounds in the past month. Not sure it's only the pop, though, as I also gave up french fries, which I was eating about 3 or 4 times a week.
Now that I've started exercising to prepare for the season, I expect to drop another 10 pounds easily by November 1.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

Yeah, and she's going through menopause so let's don't get her started yelling, OK!
I can relate to that. I keep thinking of that All In the Family episode. But it ain't done in 30 minutes, I can tell you that.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 10:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
A few years ago I gave up Pepsi (and other pop) for Lent
I knew a guy who had a blond girlfriend. One night, she wanted to have sex. He told her he couldn't because it was Lent. She said, "Oh, to who and for how long?"
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 07:28am
MABO Member

Quote:

Last time my doctor told me I had to lose about 125 lbs I told him I couldn't afford the divorce settlement....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
A few years ago I gave up Pepsi (and other pop) for Lent and lost 20 pounds. I wasn't smart enough to make it a life-style change.
I have again given up pop (for the most part, with the occasional 12 ounce indulgence) and have lost at least 10 pounds in the past month. Not sure it's only the pop, though, as I also gave up french fries, which I was eating about 3 or 4 times a week.
Now that I've started exercising to prepare for the season, I expect to drop another 10 pounds easily by November 1.
A professional colleague of mine also gave up pop, and permanently now. If he has a sip of Coke or Pepsi now, he feels like he wants to throw up because of how horrible the taste is.

I've done a few 2 and 3 week pop bans and the taste does become undesirable.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Lift weights. First, find a good qualified trainer in your area. Good luck.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
A professional colleague of mine also gave up pop, and permanently now. If he has a sip of Coke or Pepsi now, he feels like he wants to throw up because of how horrible the taste is.

I've done a few 2 and 3 week pop bans and the taste does become undesirable.
Let me share my story.

A few years ago, I decided it was time to do something about my weight. I had become rather complacent and packed my 5' 9" frame up to a lofty 273 lbs. I decided it was time to do something about it. When I made that decision, I didn't know how much I weighed. I didn't even own a scale.

I purchased a scale, weighed in at 273, and knew that it wasn't going to be easy. I didn't want to "diet," so I just decided I would start eating less and cut the sweets out of my diet. I was a HUGE pop drinker -- I'd often come home and down 3-4 a NIGHT easy. That came to a screeching halt. It was late October 2004 when I made this commitment to myself. I was running games 3 nights a week. By late December I was down to about 260, and decided that I needed to do something more. I purchased a treadmill and committed myself to a minimum of 30 minutes a day, 3 nights per week -- preferably on nights when I wasn't running games. (It was rather depressing when I first bought the treadmill and the box said not to be used for people over 250 lbs. I was thinking, how stupid is that!!! Someone wants to lose weight, and the treadmill says STAY OFF ME!!!)

I started treadmilling and kept running. The pounds kept falling. When April rolled around, I started biking to and from work 3 times a week. This replaced most of my treadmilling for the summer months. I would often go on evening rides with my children as well. By the end of December 2006, I had hit 206, and that is the lowest I got. I stayed within 10 lbs of that for quite some time, but in the past year or so, I've slowly crept back up to just over 230.

It's time to drop it down again, this time below 200. So yell at me too. I know you all love to yell at me often anyhow. This will just give you all one more reason to do so.