The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Never Yell Shut Up

I was reading this thread on another website about a MSBL umpire's action. I thought you might want to read some of the interesting comments about umpires from other MSBL members.

http://www.msblnational.com/forums/t...?TOPIC_ID=1243

I also thought I would post a financial note to the current labor board for Pro UMPS. Pay attention to the amateur rate when attendance is closer to ZERO and admission is FREE: $90 a game and $140 a double-header. All games are LOCAL.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I was reading this thread on another website about a MSBL umpire's action. I thought you might want to read some of the interesting comments about umpires from other MSBL members.

http://www.msblnational.com/forums/t...?TOPIC_ID=1243

I also thought I would post a financial note to the current labor board for Pro UMPS. Pay attention to the amateur rate when attendance is closer to ZERO and admission is FREE: $90 a game and $140 a double-header. All games are LOCAL.
They are all rats...
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 03:11am

Here's to adult baseball whiney rats:

SHUT UP
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Here's to adult baseball whiney rats:

SHUT UP
Yeah, I do that too.

I match their profanity 3X while they are at the plate too!
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I have found that my level of restraint lowers when I do adult ball. Its hard to watch 40 year old men act like children. I have contemplated keeping pacifiers in my ball bag to hand out when they start to whine.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Rodent convention

Man, I visited that board, and resisted the urge to sign up just to flame their sorry a$$es.

Ace
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I have found that my level of restraint lowers when I do adult ball. Its hard to watch 40 year old men act like children. I have contemplated keeping pacifiers in my ball bag to hand out when they start to whine.
Just ask if they want you to call the waaambulance. Who was it that posted that pic a while back?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Waaambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Just ask if they want you to call the waaambulance. Who was it that posted that pic a while back?
Brian has it and he uses it every now and then for effect, or is that affect.

Damn, something else I failed to learn in school because I never stopped moving around enuf to listen well.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:01pm.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Shut Up

Personally I would never yell shut up! I'd just enforce the rule, ejection! And also, I never say the next person who says another word is gone because what if he says "Thank You", you gonna run him? I doubt it! If the rule says the infraction warrants an ejection, send him on his merry way and follow that with "Play Ball"!
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Never say never...

IMO, depending on the level of game, situations such as this must be handled differently.

For example, if working a game between 13 year old players and the sniping starts, I'll walk to the coach and ask him to take care of it. Why? Because more likely than not, this group of participants don't know how or when to express displeasure.

If working an adult league game, this passive approach will most likely not solve the problem. A stern response such as "shut up," "sit down," or "I'll handle the balls and strikes," with some volume and a good game-face is usually necessary.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 10:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Friend of mine was working an adult tournament last week with teams from out of the area. Teams in the area know not to mess with this guy (and a few more of us), but like I said, these are teams not from the area.

Ground ball to F4. He bobbles, bobbles, lollipops to first, safe.

F6 says, "He sure f---ed that call."

Now, my friend could've just run him, but decided to pull a page from the book of "Game management -- Adult Baseball Style."

"Time. (Turns to F6) You don't know me and I don't know you. Let me introduce myself. SHUT THE F--- UP AND PLAY THE GAME."

It's not my style, but he said that he didn't hear a word out of either team the whole game.

Adult baseball is a matter of survival in many cases and sometimes the right answer doesn't come from Miss Manners.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree! I use a heavy hand when needed, and am not afraid to tell them to shut up, swear at them, etc...

Multiple times I have had multiple ejections in "adult" games. After the first time, the teams sort of figure out that I have no problems ejecting enough guys so that their team has to forfeit! I don't think of it as me ejecting them. Rather, I think of it as them ejecting themselves!

Usually, a comment to a bench like "You can go ahead and talk all the fu*king crap you want to me. I will just keep ejecting you guys until you are done" gets their attention and we can move on.