The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Folks,

I'm back on the floor again this year after three years away due to an injury. The injury, believe it or not, was to my vocal cords. I thought I was through, but after a couple of years of intense vocal therapy, I'm back to where I can teach and sing again...more or less totally healed. I was an evaluator for the last couple of years, but just hated not being on the floor, so I've decided to head back and find a way to referee without hurting my voice.

My instincts say that I don't really need to holler out there...if it's an empty gym, a normal voice will do, and if it's full, nobody will hear me anyway. But there are situations where I need to communicate and would have hollered in the past. I'm wondering if you have any specific advice for how to communicate with partner, coaches, or fans without shouting.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 10:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

First of all, welcome back. It's always a good thing when one of our own returns to the court.

Now, as to your question. As I'm sure you know, there's a difference between shouting and increasing the volume of your voice so you can be heard over a specific distance. Until you get your total voice back, you'll probably just have to move closer to whomever it is you wish to address.

Unfortunately, that will make you move closer to coaches. Just keep telling yourself it's temporary.

As for fans, this might be a good opportunity to reinforce the concept of not talking to them at all.

One other thing, in pregame, make sure your partner knows your situation and tell him or her (see Juulie, I can be politically correct) to visually check with you on unusual calls.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Patience is the Key

Maybe I do not understand the degree of impact on your vocal chords, but if you
can speak you should be able to do this. I sincerely hope you are able to make
this work for you!

Use the whistle and remain calm. After reading your post I did a quick mental
survey of my actions while I officiate a game. I am hard-pressed to think of
a situation that would require an official to "Yell."

"Closing in" on the play should make you audible to the players involved.
Comments with coaches or partners should be in a "normal" tone. Sometimes
there may be a need to be more forceful, but these are minimal and you
will do with what you have.

It appears that you WILL communicate, but it will all be in a "normal"
tone of voice.

Best wishes on your return to the court.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul in Seattle
Folks,

I'm back on the floor again this year after three years away due to an injury. The injury, believe it or not, was to my vocal cords. I thought I was through, but after a couple of years of intense vocal therapy, I'm back to where I can teach and sing again...more or less totally healed. I was an evaluator for the last couple of years, but just hated not being on the floor, so I've decided to head back and find a way to referee without hurting my voice.

My instincts say that I don't really need to holler out there...if it's an empty gym, a normal voice will do, and if it's full, nobody will hear me anyway. But there are situations where I need to communicate and would have hollered in the past. I'm wondering if you have any specific advice for how to communicate with partner, coaches, or fans without shouting.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
You can communicate with great mechanics and eye contact and non-verbal communication (body language and postioning). I can't think of a time when I need to holler in a game. I verbalize the foul on the spot, but in a real loud gym, the only ones who can hear it are probably the players right by me.

Z
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks, folks

You've reinforced what I believe, which is that I really don't need to yell at all. I can walk up to coaches (especially in 3-man, where I'll often be right there anyway), players, and partner. I'll start by using a normal voice and then run closer if that doesn't work.

Mainly, the "yelling" I've done in the past is shouting calls out. "BLUE!" or "OVER AND BACK!" for instance...shouted it so those in the back row can hear. (That's what I mean by "communicating with fans," Mr. Padgett. I agree that the kind of communication you were thinking of is never a good idea!) Those days of yelling are over...I've got to make sure I communicate with excellent mechanics. I've also got to work on giving a quick blast for a foul, a longer blast for a violation, and a series of quick blasts to wave off a shot.

Am I missing anything?

Paul
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks, folks

Quote:
You've reinforced what I believe, which is that I really don't need to yell at all. I can walk up to coaches (especially in 3-man, where I'll often be right there anyway), players, and partner. I'll start by using a normal voice and then run closer if that doesn't work.

Mainly, the "yelling" I've done in the past is shouting calls out. "BLUE!" or "OVER AND BACK!" for instance...shouted it so those in the back row can hear. (That's what I mean by "communicating with fans," Mr. Padgett. I agree that the kind of communication you were thinking of is never a good idea!) Those days of yelling are over...I've got to make sure I communicate with excellent mechanics. I've also got to work on giving a quick blast for a foul, a longer blast for a violation, and a series of quick blasts to wave off a shot.

Am I missing anything?

Paul
Solid blast to put ball in play after a prolonged break in the action as in 7-5-1...

Right, JohnBark!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Paul, Paul, Paul.............I like the short blast and long blast difference, but why would you use a series of short blasts to wave of a shot..........Not necessary my friend...........Just blow the whistle and give the proper mechanic.

"OVER THE BACK" How could you?

Oh, By the way! WELCOME BACK.......

To everyone else.......Paul has been an observer for a few of my games and he provides good and positive feedback.....

Thanks Paul.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
Paul, Paul, Paul.............I like the short blast and long blast difference,
Why?!?! This is the first time I've ever heard this technique. What's the point of a shorter or longer blast? That just seems bizarre to me. You're already communicating whether it's a foul or violation with your hand (open or fist). Why change your whistle blast?

Quote:
"OVER THE BACK" How could you?
That's some sneaky editing, Ron. . .
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Thanks, folks

Quote:
(That's what I mean by "communicating with fans," Mr. Padgett.
Mr. Padgett is my father. Please, call me Studmuffin.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Two games today and I'm a little hoarse. It'll take some practice. Had to wave off a shot at the end of a half and habitually shouted "NO! NO! NO!" Will have to find a way to draw attention to myself other than shouting...and Ron, I think it'll be a series of short blasts. Sorry!

Also, Ron...I typed "over and back" rather than "over the back." Looks like you owe me next game we work together...
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah...

In a related story, I sure wish the blue team coach (6th grade rec ball, for crap's sake) had a vocal cord injury. Won't be long before she does. Third game back and I've already T'd a coach up. Dragged my feet a little...shoulda gotten her earlier, my clinician properly said. Looks like my brain needs adjustment as much as my voice. It'll come.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks, folks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
You meant Monsieur Studmuffin, right?
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Thanks, folks

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
I don't think so, Mark doesn't ref FEEBLE
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 06:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: Re: Thanks, folks

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Hey - that's Professor Studmuffin to you.